Big Bee 4' Bush Hog leaking

/ Big Bee 4' Bush Hog leaking #1  

man00

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota
I noticed after filling to overflow a leak started where the PTO shaft connect to gear box on cutter. Did I overfill it? the cutter was lower in the front and the over fill plug is on back of gear box. Anyways if it's a hard fix or cost too much
I thought about just filling with grease. If I go that route do I fill with grease all the way top of gear box?

Thanks

/ Big Bee 4' Bush Hog leaking #2  
If its a slow leak, add some Lucas to keep gears lubricated. If its a bad leak, bearing and or seal might have to be replaced
I would not advise grease in a mower gearbox unless it is cornhead grease.

/ Big Bee 4' Bush Hog leaking #3  
Which "overflow" are you referring to?? If the one on the side (like a lot of gearboxes have), that should give you the specified amount to operate it at. If you are talking about the fill hole on the top, and it ran out, then yeah, you overfilled it.

Overfilling it and then using it to the point that the gear box reaches maximum temp can put more pressure on the seals. So yeah, over filling a gearbox can potentially cause it to leak.

/ Big Bee 4' Bush Hog leaking
I filled to the point where oil came out of overfill plug, but wasn't paying attention and the cutter was way lower in the front. So the overfill drain was much higher than it should have been. It stated leaking soon as I added oil. It is the seal leaking, ordered couple this morning, got two in case something goes wrong. Doesn't look to be a very bad job..just pull off pto shaft, 5 or 6 bolts for cover. The seal is mounted in that cover so if all else fails I can take that cover plate to bearing supplier and have them do it.