Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #21  
Before I offer my opinion on Branson, I'll state I originally would have bought a Branson tractor but ended up buying an LS. I know the Branson would have met all the requirements that I had and the local dealers also spoke highly of the product. I was interested in the 5520H. In over a year neither dealer in my area has ever received a tractor in that power range. As others have mentioned, I was attracted by the lack of engine electronics on the Branson. Even had a plan to remove the DPF filter and replace with a muffler so that was not an issue even before I had the tractor. Nothing like trying to fix a problem you don't even have. What switched me over to LS was a list of features that exceeded a Kubota or Branson for a lower price and it was available! Spent more money than I planned since I went for a cab version which my local dealer said was not on the table until next year with the Branson due to a shortage of glass for the cab. I believe a Branson is a good purchase if you can get what you want rather than settle for what you can have. I don't rely on a tractor to run a business so it is more of a what I want purchase. I doubt that I will get more than a 100 hours/year so I'm not really worried about the electronic features on the LS but I bet I'll use and appreciate them when I am using the tractor. My biggest problem with Branson is how they treat their smaller dealers and customer response. Try using the the Contact on the Branson website and see if you get a response. I was just trying to get the specs earlier this year on the 5520 (which was the 5220) through multiple emails and never got a response. Gotta wonder if you had a real issue that you would want the manufacturer to respond to. Especially seeing how they treat the dealers in my area.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #22  
Before I offer my opinion on Branson, I'll state I originally would have bought a Branson tractor but ended up buying an LS. I know the Branson would have met all the requirements that I had and the local dealers also spoke highly of the product. I was interested in the 5520H. In over a year neither dealer in my area has ever received a tractor in that power range. As others have mentioned, I was attracted by the lack of engine electronics on the Branson. Even had a plan to remove the DPF filter and replace with a muffler so that was not an issue even before I had the tractor. Nothing like trying to fix a problem you don't even have. What switched me over to LS was a list of features that exceeded a Kubota or Branson for a lower price and it was available! Spent more money than I planned since I went for a cab version which my local dealer said was not on the table until next year with the Branson due to a shortage of glass for the cab. I believe a Branson is a good purchase if you can get what you want rather than settle for what you can have. I don't rely on a tractor to run a business so it is more of a what I want purchase. I doubt that I will get more than a 100 hours/year so I'm not really worried about the electronic features on the LS but I bet I'll use and appreciate them when I am using the tractor. My biggest problem with Branson is how they treat their smaller dealers and customer response. Try using the the Contact on the Branson website and see if you get a response. I was just trying to get the specs earlier this year on the 5520 (which was the 5220) through multiple emails and never got a response. Gotta wonder if you had a real issue that you would want the manufacturer to respond to. Especially seeing how they treat the dealers in my area.
Interesting perspective and I sure hate to hear you never received a response.

However, apparently the Branson dealers do not feel like they are mistreated as Branson has won the Dealers Choice Award 2 years running.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #23  
Yeah, I saw that. I think they treat their big dealers better (LS has the same problem). Since Branson seem to be more established in the south US they may pay more attention to that area. I thought I read that LS won that same award for multiple years (I believe 5) before Branson won it. Makes you wonder what it takes to win that award. I'm not trying to knock down Branson since I think their product is worth evaluating. It just didn't work for me mostly due to un-availability. I think the manufacturers need to understand that a tractor in the compact/utility size is a one time purchase for a lot of non-commercial owners. In the current state of affairs, I don't believe there is the same level of customer service that there used to be. Seems to be a more take it or leave it attitude which isn't healthy for any industry in the long term.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H
My biggest issue is that I have 2 Branson dealers within 150 miles, and 6 or more LS dealers. On top of that, many of the Branson dealers listed on their website, no longer carry Branson. They are LS and Kioti. It’s a great product... but their presence in these parts is slim, and they apparently don’t update their dealer network often... because several listed dealers have dropped them.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #25  
Pete, i understand your perspective. We moved to Texas from Wisconsin 16 years ago. Can not find a decent cheese curd or Kringle here. Every manufacturer will treat their bigger dealers better, just like (almost)every dealer will treat their bigger customers better. That is fine unless it affects me. Haha.

I don't understand why so many people think they should contact the manufacturer directly. I have never done so with anything that I did not buy directly from the manufacturer. Tractors and auto dealerships are not owned or operated by the manufacturers. They are independent businesses. I was able to find a lot of info on Branson's website. Maybe it has improved since you were looking.

They do understand it is a one time purchase. A good dealer knows he can parlay that purchase into maintenance and parts and implement sales, not to mention word of mouth sales. For the manufacturer, they need you to be big enough to buy again or you present little individual value to them after purchase. One reason they push SCUTs. People who buy them will often upgrade to a bigger unit. Boom. Double the lifetime sales number.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #26  
My biggest issue is that I have 2 Branson dealers within 150 miles, and 6 or more LS dealers. On top of that, many of the Branson dealers listed on their website, no longer carry Branson. They are LS and Kioti. It’s a great product... but their presence in these parts is slim, and they apparently don’t update their dealer network often... because several listed dealers have dropped them.
More dealerships may seem useful, but you only need one good one. JD and their fans like to tout the number of dealerships compared to everyone else in the US. At the end of the day, most of us will only use one dealer once we buy.

For what it is worth, my 'local' Branson dealers have had more product to sell than the local LS guys. Like much of the modern economy, internet sales are big business. Those dealerships who embraced that model have flourished.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H
More dealerships may seem useful, but you only need one good one. JD and their fans like to tout the number of dealerships compared to everyone else in the US. At the end of the day, most of us will only use one dealer once we buy.

For what it is worth, my 'local' Branson dealers have had more product to sell than the local LS guys. Like much of the modern economy, internet sales are big business. Those dealerships who embraced that model have flourished.
That is valid... but with only 2, and the fact that their current dealer list, contains many that actually don’t carry the brand anymore, it seems they are in retreat. I only need one, but I’m 2 away from none. 4 of the 6 dealers on the list within 150 miles, no longer carry Branson. 😳

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #28  
Try to find out why. It may just be they were not great dealers. Branson is a different tractor with a low price point. My guess is dealers were trying to squeeze for more money and were undercut by nationwide guys willing to deliver. The tricky thing is who left whom? The LS/Kioti dealer nearest my city house used to sell Mahindra. He said they did not honor their warranty and left dealers holding the empty purse. Of course, that is his side. In the early stages, some manufacturers will take anyone as a dealer. Over time, the herd thins as the bad ones leave or are booted. The marriage with TYM may mean they had some philosophical changes.

One thing I have noticed is that more and more dealers carry multiple brands. The big Branson dealer near me only has Branson tractors. They have other implements and mowers, but only Branson tractors. I haven't seen an LS or Kioti dealer that doesn't also carry something else. Not sure what that says, but it makes you wonder.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #29  
That is valid... but with only 2, and the fact that their current dealer list, contains many that actually don’t carry the brand anymore, it seems they are in retreat. I only need one, but I’m 2 away from none. 4 of the 6 dealers on the list within 150 miles, no longer carry Branson. 😳
There have been plenty of Branson dealers not make it. And more will not make it I am sure. Some will change brands and some will just go out of business. But the same thing happened with Kioti and other brands trying to make it in a new market. Does not mean it is a bad tractor for either. They just do not have the brand recognition yet and some dealers are not good managers.

The Branson website has always been outdated. They make very few updates and could do a much better job.

/ Between the LS MT352 and Branson 5520C/H #30  
Even had a plan to remove the DPF filter and replace with a muffler so that was not an issue even before I had the tractor. Nothing like trying to fix a problem you don't even have.

Be aware that with the current 20 series, if you gut the DPF, the dash indicator lights will stay lit. No one currently knows how to make them go out. Its not like the older ones where it didn't care.

Better to keep it all intact until it causes a problem. The problems some people were having with the DPF was it getting clogged in cold weather when operated only for short periods so it did not get hot. The newer 20 series has the ability to do manual regens and an exhaust valve to hold heat in for those regens. That should take care of that problem.