Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture
Having a few clumps of trees here and there isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't strip the entire property if there are some desirable trees to retain. However, I am very familiar with what the OP is facing. If it is like other fields that grow up around here the first things to show up are cedars, locust and wild cherry. None of those should be left in a pasture field.

Yes, my pasture, about 35 acres, is filled with lots of Bradford pears. They all must go. I have a few mature oak trees that will stay. I also have about 15 acres of woods (not pears or cedars) at the northern end and the southwestern portion of my property, so there are plenty of trees on the property.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #132  
I bought a Kubota M7060HD12 today with a rotary cutter and a root grapple. I pick it up in three weeks. Let the games begin!

Games is exactly right.... there's just something inherently fun about using heavy machinery to reshape the land/landscape. It's almost like being a little kid playing in the sandbox again, but even better since the "toys" are so much bigger and the results are much more productive. :D

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #133  
^^^^^
It also will make it's own "Vroom, Vroom" noises so that he won't have to. :D

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #134  
let the education begin!!!

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #135  
Yes, my pasture, about 35 acres, is filled with lots of Bradford pears. They all must go. I have a few mature oak trees that will stay. I also have about 15 acres of woods (not pears or cedars) at the northern end and the southwestern portion of my property, so there are plenty of trees on the property.

I didn't look at your aerial pictures until after I posted. That is a ton of Bradford pears! Nothing to do there, but just dive in.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #136  
Not sure if it was mentioned yet...Just burn'em all down???.....
17-Biggest-Pros-and-Cons-of-Controlled-Forest-Fires.png

:drink:

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #137  
actually that was mentioned to a degree such as mulching then burning or excavating then burning - Op is choosing to take it on himself

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #138  

The Tenn. Invasive Plant Council
Plant Details – Tennessee Invasive Plant Council

Have you checked with the local university/county extension office? See if anyone in the area has a root plow and large disc. http://www.rocklandmfg.com/index.php?page=dozer-root-plows

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #139  
our local FSA has one for rent - takes 120hp min to pull it 4x4 or duals recommended

friend tried it on his white 105 with no duals, it was a frustrating experience - waste of time/money

have fun with the tree puller

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #140  
our local FSA has one for rent - takes 120hp min to pull it 4x4 or duals recommended

friend tried it on his white 105 with no duals, it was a frustrating experience - waste of time/money

have fun with the tree puller

Not really a waste of time/money, hook to a semi-large dozer (D6, JD 650, etc.) instead (not a track loader). And if it wasnt clear, I was suggesting hiring it out. A root rake like the one I showed takes a little skill and practice and alot of traction since its slicing dirt and roots below the surface. Rippers (front or back)on a dozer arent quite as good but will do a pretty good job. Ive even seen guys use bottom plows, but you almost have to expect the moldboard(s) to have issues.

Lots of good choices out there, some not so great. Once you start ripping, dont forget to include the price of new seed, cheap stuff is $2.00 a pound.