Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #261  
Lots of good perspectives lately on pay someone to do it versus do it yourself. I am happy with the choice we made and how it is working out. Yes, it is a lot of hard work, but I enjoy running the tractor and hanging out with my wife on the weekends. I think I'm making a good investment of my time and saving a lot of money. I do really appreciate all the different opinions here and I hope all your experiences will help others too, which is why we are here! My son recently made another video. Stay healthy!

March 21 Farm Update (1443 trees, 28 burn piles) - YouTube

We use to haul brush to a burn pile using a small trailer on a garden tractor. I should have bought a grapple YEARS ago. We can do in 2 hours now what would of taken us a whole weekend. The wife always said she likes to feed the burn pile....now, she LOVES the grapple.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #262  
Thanks, jjp8182. I enjoyed your earlier "do it yourself" post.

:laughing: almost wish I had some napalm myself right about now to finish burning a couple of the stumps I dug out. Though the interesting thing I've noticed is that after spreading the ash from the last big burn, and planting over where the fire and ash was heaviest the planted winter rye was growing faster in that spot than everywhere else in the garden. So I suspect that if you can get some grass seed worked into the places you've already burned you could end up with quite the lush pasture this summer.

...and then the fun with mowing starts :cool:

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #263  
Great video. Is your propertly line where the trees are left standing in straight lines? Is there a fence in those trees? Will you need a fence for animals?

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture
:laughing: almost wish I had some napalm myself right about now to finish burning a couple of the stumps I dug out. Though the interesting thing I've noticed is that after spreading the ash from the last big burn, and planting over where the fire and ash was heaviest the planted winter rye was growing faster in that spot than everywhere else in the garden. So I suspect that if you can get some grass seed worked into the places you've already burned you could end up with quite the lush pasture this summer.

...and then the fun with mowing starts :cool:

Lol, I also have fantasies about tree removal!

After we burn each pile, the next week we rake the area well and spread grass seed. The grass is growing very well in those areas.

Great video. Is your propertly line where the trees are left standing in straight lines? Is there a fence in those trees? Will you need a fence for animals?

Hi Eddie,

Yes, the entire perimeter of the property has a barbed wire fence and trees have grown up on the fence lines. Nobody has ever built on the property, but about 10 years ago someone leased the land and had cattle on it. Look at minute 2:56 - you see three lines of trees going from the top to the bottom of the screen. The rows to the far left and right are property boundaries. The interior row to the left is a cross fence. Look at minute 3:49 - the bright green trees are a few more Bradford pear trees that need to go. Above it is a stand of large trees that will stay, about 4 acres. Finally, look an minute 6:38 - in the upper right of the frame is a bigger stand of mature trees; about 11 acres, and this will stay too. So, about 15 acres of woods and 35 acres of pasture. My wife has many horses, so I will make 4 rotational pastures for them. I will put the 4 pastures together, with a three board wooden fence around the perimeter of the 4 pastures, then use temporary electric fence on the interior to separate the area into 4 rotational pastures.

Cheers,
Ed

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #268  
Starting to looks like the end is near ... (in a good way) :thumbsup:

Starting to looks like the end is near ... (in a good way) :thumbsup:

Lol, yes, hopefully in a good way! It is very enjoyable to work hard on the farm all weekend after spending the work week at my kitchen table the past many weeks.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #270  
Lol, yes, hopefully in a good way! It is very enjoyable to work hard on the farm all weekend after spending the work week at my kitchen table the past many weeks.

I hear that - in the last couple months I think I've actually used more diesel in my tractor than I have gasoline in my truck. In normal times I'd be going through a tank of gas every week commuting to/from work and the odd ball errands, now it's more like a tank of gas once every six weeks due to teleworking, while the tractor usage has been up due to spring garden work, mowing ....and even driving the tractor to the drive in service at a nearby church (figure it's not far and the tractor takes up less space than the truck & also opens up alternative parking options :cool:)