Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #281  
   / Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture
It's been very long since I posted an update. Fifty acres; about 35 acres of pastures and 15 acres of woods. The 35 acres of pastures were not maintained for decades by the previous owner. We have the pastures cleared but are still waiting to build a house and barn (COVID, worst inflation in 40 years, ~7% mortgage rates). The attached photo is from September 2022.

40B13D60-6C29-4BD1-8A4B-0CD4946BBBA2.jpeg

Attachments

• A234B4B1-A552-4847-AFE3-9192AAAA3C99.jpeg
    A234B4B1-A552-4847-AFE3-9192AAAA3C99.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 66
   / Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #283  
So, what means was used to clear the acreage?

Your original post mentioned Bradford Pears, the cockroach of trees. And desire not to disturb the soil. Those two desires are contradictory as Bradford Pear roots are survivors, need to be dug up and burned or dependably killed.

Would also think you would not want stumps in the ground, even cut flush because they will rot, make holes for horses to step in and get hurt. Have enough trouble with groundhogs and armadillos on my land leaving holes for cattle to trip.

So, what means was used to clear the acreage?

Your original post mentioned Bradford Pears, the cockroach of trees. And desire not to disturb the soil. Those two desires are contradictory as Bradford Pear roots are survivors, need to be dug up and burned or dependably killed.

Would also think you would not want stumps in the ground, even cut flush because they will rot, make holes for horses to step in and get hurt. Have enough trouble with groundhogs and armadillos on my land leaving holes for cattle to trip.
Trees cut flush to the ground with a TurboSaw on the back of my tractor. Stumps were painted with Garlon 3A, which kills the roots and prevents regrowth. Bradford pears have shallow roots, so hopefully and holes left after the stumps rot will be minimal and can be filled in with dirt.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #285  
Trees cut flush to the ground with a TurboSaw on the back of my tractor. Stumps were painted with Garlon 3A, which kills the roots and prevents regrowth. Bradford pears have shallow roots, so hopefully and holes left after the stumps rot will be minimal and can be filled in with dirt.
I'd be very interested to see pictures of how close you were able to cut to the ground and what the stumps look like maybe a year after cutting.

I'd be very interested to see pictures of how close you were able to cut to the ground and what the stumps look like maybe a year after cutting.
Post #200 on page 20 shows stumps cut at ground level. I will need to take some pictures of rotting stumps.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #287  
How were you able to cut that close to the ground with a tractor tree saw? That would be hard to do even with a chainsaw.

Did you have to sharpen your saw blade much during this process due to contact with the ground?

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #288  
Hi all,

I just bought 50 acres, about 35 pasture and 15 woods. Land is flat. Pasture has been neglected for many years and has hundreds of trees in it that need to be cleared. Most are Bradford pears and cedar trees, about 5-6 inches in diameter and about 20 feet tall. I want to make a wide open pasture of it all. After the trees are cleared, I will keep it cleared with a bush hog. I will move 6 horses on it. I am not in a big hurry, but I want to get it done as soon as reasonably possible. I don't want to tear up the pasture land more than necessary, but will do what I need to get the job done.

Here are some ways to get the job done. Please tell me which way you think is the best way to go and your experiences.

Forestry mulcher: Wow, what could be more awesome than a forestry mulcher?!
Clevinger Forest Services- Forestry Mulcher Land Clearing - YouTube
I can rent one (tracked Bobcat T770 with forestry mulcher) for about $3,000 per week. Pros: Turns trees into mulch, grinds them down to the ground, does not tear up other pasture, and no burning required. Negative: Renting a Bobcat is still pricey, and it may take many weeks to complete.

Bulldozer: Hire someone to push them over, shove them in a pile, and set them on fire. Pros: Fast, probably cheapest method too. Negatives: Will tear up a lot of ground because many stumps will come out and make holes so ground will need to be graded too.

Tree saw and stump grinder for tractor PTO: TurboSaw quickly cuts each tree.
Tractor Mounted Tree Saw
Use grapple to put in a pile and burn them. Take saw off tractor and attach stump grinder.
Stump Grinder Videos | Woodland Mills USA
Pros: Should go pretty quickly. Can go at my own pace, depending on how much time I have each day. The saw and grinder will cost about $8,000 total, but I will be able to use them later too when I cut some trails through the woods. Negatives: Not sure, but may take the most time.

Your thoughts? Thanks for playing along!

Ed
A competent dozer operator with a D9 can work wonders on land clearing and for nominal by the hour pricing..... your best value....BTDT

On the holes roots might leave, have him smooth it out, or you come back with tractors and implements and condition the soil (which you will be doing anyway) and filling in the holes in the process.

This would be my approach.

/ Best way to clear unwanted trees from pasture #289  
A competent dozer operator with a D9 can work wonders on land clearing and for nominal by the hour pricing..... your best value....BTDT

On the holes roots might leave, have him smooth it out, or you come back with tractors and implements and condition the soil (which you will be doing anyway) and filling in the holes in the process.

This would be my approach.

I just helped a neighbor clear out some Locust trees and stumps but they were not as dense as you suggest. The solution was to cut the stumps at ground level, haul off the brush and apply Glyphosate (stump killer...paint on with a brush) to the stump. Let it sit till the stump rots.....less than a year, and come back with a tandem disc and grind up the stumps into small pieces, follow with a spike/chain harrow and just leave them lie...your farm equipment will work around them and eventually they will disappear.

On stumps that don't die off as fast as most, i used the Fel on the tractor to push the roots out of the ground to be hauled off.

How were you able to cut that close to the ground with a tractor tree saw? That would be hard to do even with a chainsaw.

Did you have to sharpen your saw blade much during this process due to contact with the ground?