Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection?

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #1  

Johnkn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota LX3310
Looking for a powered tow-behind lead collection system for my lawn tractor. trying to stay around $1500 or so. The DR looks promising. Any suggestions? having a collapsable enclosure is important to me for off season storage. Thanks

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #2  
Looking for a powered tow-behind lead collection system for my lawn tractor. trying to stay around $1500 or so. The DR looks promising. Any suggestions? having a collapsable enclosure is important to me for off season storage. Thanks

Look at the Cyclone Rakes first as they have been around the longest
and they are very simple to use and maintain and have collapsable collection
trailers that connect directly to the tractors rear frame eliminating turning issues with a regular "trailer".

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #3  
I have a cyclone rake that I don't like. I can't knock it too hard though. We suck several hundred loads of leafs a year and it has lasted over 10 years. The motor on it is a pile of crap. It leaks oil terrible, and the starting pull cord kicks back nearly breaking your hand.

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #4  
I have a Cyclone Rake also. It's a quality piece of equipment. I think the DR, trac-vac and others are OK, but the CR is a step above. The new ones have the latest B&S engines which, in general, are highly thought of. The solid mount (rather than trailer hitch) has pluses and minuses. Doesn't really matter to me since I can back a trailer. What I like best is the fold up design which allows it to hang on the wall and take up very little storage space.

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #5  
Best in my opinion would be one that is self-dumping.

What that essentially means is that the floor of the collection hopper is fixed at an angle ... say, 45 degrees or so ... and there is a rear door, which, when raised, folds up out of the way and just allows the leaves/grass clippings to fall out on their own.

These are available (Toro and others) but are typically marketed as commercial turf management (aka golfcourses) products rather than a home owner item (with a price tag to go with them)

You likely won't find one within your budget of $1500 (at least not new) but if you're handy and can weld/fabricate you could probably build a real nice one for that amount.

That's what I plan on doing.

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #6  
Best in my opinion would be one that is self-dumping.

With the Cyclone Rake, you have to get off the tractor to raise the bed, but it tilts to 45 deg and then you can just drive off as it dumps.

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #7  
With the Cyclone Rake, you have to get off the tractor to raise the bed, but it tilts to 45 deg and then you can just drive off as it dumps.
I have never experienced that self dumping action. Leafs are packed in their like sardines. I have to rake at least half of them out before it will dump. If I do a pre mulching with another lawnmower they pack even tighter.

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #8  
Rswyan I agree with you! I have been looking at the Happy homeowner trailers that are being talked about and can't see trying to dig the leafs or grass out of them. I hope to make a semi-mounted, pto, self-unloading vac in the next few years. if you have a few leaves it would be ok but if you have LEAVES then something more is needed. Ed

/ Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #9  
I have both a self dumping Giant Vac and the new (purchased last fall) DR vac. Both empty themselves very well. The only time I ever had to dig leaves out was when I left the Giant Vac full for a week before emptying. I consider the emptying effort equal between the two. There's more separate actions on the DR, but the Giant Vac requires more strength to lift the heavy steel door and relatch it. Pic of Giant Vac attached.

Attachments

• myvac.JPG
    myvac.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 290
   / Best Tow Behind Leaf Collection? #10  
Would part of that activity include disconnecting and then reconnecting the discharge hose from the vac blower to the bed/hopper ?

Do you also have then undump the bed and refasten/secure it ?

... see what I'm gettin' at ?