Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #1  

Idahoagie

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5310HST Cab
I've read through many of the threads regarding flail mowers and I'm seriously considering a WoodMaxx unit. I have one of their snowblowers and have been impressed with the quality of construction and performance with that implement. Pricing on their flail mowers is attractive and the reviews I've read are all pretty good. I will probably go with the hydraulic side shift as I have fences, trees, buildings to mow around.

Tractor is a 2022 Kioti DK5310SE with cab. Just over 50HP with a bit more than 39HP at the PTO. Overall width is 63 inches, outside tire tread to outside tire tread. Plenty of power and lift capacity.

My question is, do I go with the FM-62H which has a width of 65" and a cutting width of 59", or the FM-78H with a width of 79.5" and a cutting width of 74"? Price difference is $275. With either mower the tires will be flattening the grass prior to the cutters getting to it, but what would the collective opinion be on which width would be best and why?

Thank you for any input. This is my first flail mower, replacing a 48" tow-behind rotary mower that was purchased to tow behind an ATV before we got the Kioti. Looking forward to getting the mowing done quicker with a better cut.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #2  
I have an 88" side shift model for my L5740 Kubota. The side shift is nice to allow some cutting without driving over stuff. Its built like a tank so no regrets with my purchase. Personally I would go bigger and get a side shift model if you have the hydraulic remotes.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #3  
I have a 77" side shift flail mower on my 52 hp MX Kubota. Works great. Bit hard to see but with the offset only 1 tire is rolling in the uncut material.

Attachments

• IMG_3166.JPG
    IMG_3166.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 104
   / Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #4  
I'm a proud owner of a Woodmaxx FM-62 with Y grass knives on my BX2200 back in 2017. I've got at least 100 hours on it, no issues!

Actually I just changed the gearbox oil a few weeks ago. Still looked brand new.

I purchased it directly from Woodmaxx and picked it up myself on my flatbed. They are very nice people, veteran owned, and got me some free gear on my way out after chatting with them.

I just used it two weeks ago to mow my way overgrown lawn/field. Cut and striping is beyond excellent.

IMG_20170622_174329.jpg

PXL_20230513_224855672.jpg

PXL_20230513_224925420.jpg

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #5  
I'm also looking. my only concern is it will be used to mow around 100 acres, and is it up to the task.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower
Thank you for the replies so far. I appreciate your sharing your experiences. However, I don't think I was clear enough in my question. What I am wanting to know is:

Would you go with the mower that is 17" wider than the overall width of your tractor tires?
Or would you go with the mower with the cutting width that is 4" narrower but the entire mower is only 2" wider than the width?

Either way you will have at least one tractor tire rolling over the material you are cutting prior to the mower. I know it comes down to personal preference and the trade-off is the smaller mower would be more maneuverable and fit anywhere wide enough for the tractor itself. (Like between trees.) Just wondering what others' decision making on mower width entailed. Thanks again.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #7  
I'm also looking. my only concern is it will be used to mow around 100 acres, and is it up to the task.

When you want to mow 100 acres your choices are going to be the larger 8-10 foot
in mowing width flail mowers/crop shredders from DEL MORINO, MASCHIO or VRISIMO.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #8  
Thank you for the replies so far. I appreciate your sharing your experiences. However, I don't think I was clear enough in my question. What I am wanting to know is:

Would you go with the mower that is 17" wider than the overall width of your tractor tires?
Or would you go with the mower with the cutting width that is 4" narrower but the entire mower is only 2" wider than the width?

Either way you will have at least one tractor tire rolling over the material you are cutting prior to the mower. I know it comes down to personal preference and the trade-off is the smaller mower would be more maneuverable and fit anywhere wide enough for the tractor itself. (Like between trees.) Just wondering what others' decision making on mower width entailed. Thanks again.

You would be better off with a wider flail shredder and adding bicycle flags to both sides of the mower to keep track of the
mowers sides provided the mule has enough horsepower for the flail shredder.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower
Tractor is a Kioti DK5310 with 39HP at the PTO. It will be used to mow field grass. No crop residue to shred.

/ Which WoodMaxx Flail Mower #10  
The larger flail mowers are also used as crop shredders so a 7 foot cut DEL MORINO, MASCHIO or VRISIMO
will work very well for you.

Another option is the 6 foot cut towed HINIKER towed flail mower crop shredder with a constant velocity universal joint.
The mower an offset adjustable hitch assembly if I remember correctly which allows you to make very tight turns with the
mower and it can mow down to 2 inches in cutting height and has either a hydraulic cutting height adjustment or a ratchet
jack to adjust the cutting height as standard equipment. It also has a parking jack as standard equipment.