Rotary Cutter Best rotary cutter for the $$$$

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #21  
I gearbox is less than $200 for most cutters so it's not a huge deal. Two hour job if everything goes well.
Most low end cutters maybe:D but not the type of cutter that I have with my Woods BB720.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #22  
What’s with the ”mines bigger than yours” post, it’s still a regular old gearbox. Even if someone felt then need to buy OEM, the most you’d be out is probably around $600 and a little time. That’s absolute worst case scenario, though I’ve never known anyone that actually had to replace a gearbox on a brushhog.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #23  
There is no "mines bigger than yours" involved here. I stated "low end" not bigger/smaller. My brushcutter's manufacturer makes a low end cutter and I am certain that the gearbox is a fraction of what mine is. Just as their heavy duty cutter would make my medium duty seem like a tinker toy and flimsy.

I do challenge your $200 number on anything of size/robustness however. I of course do not have a 48 inch cutter and thus have no idea what a gearbox on that would be. Your $600 number is still 3 times the $200 that was mentioned for a gear box.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #24  
The $200 wasn’t my number, but probably isn’t far off for an aftermarket gearbox. I only mentioned the $600 as a guestimate for an actual OEM replacement. That would be worst case scenario, and I think most are smart enough to shop around.
The only point being, even assuming the absolute worst case scenario, a used brushhog will still cost a fraction of a new one for anyone willing to use a little elbow grease. And it's very unlikely there will be anything wrong with most used ones.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #25  
The only point being,-------------- snip-----, a used brushhog will still cost a fraction of a new one for anyone willing to use a little elbow grease. And it's very unlikely there will be anything wrong with most used ones.

On that we can agree.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #26  
Well, even if the gear box blew out tomorrow, I got my $10 worth out of it. That works out to a buck a year. I haven't put a dime for parts in it. And I wouldn't call Ford "Brand X". Do I sense a bit of jealousy on a good find? :)

At least it wasn't bugger green, hemorrhoid red or baby-poop yellow. :punch:

I wasn't referring to you or responding to your post. I have no idea what brand or model of mower you've got, so how could I be jealous? :confused3: Whatever you have, I'm glad your happy with it just like I am very happy with the Rhino 172 I bought. I was simply responding to MMagis' question of why anybody would buy a new brush hog.

I couldn't care less what someone else buys. We all set our own priorities and decide how to spend our own money. I have very little free time to work on my property. When it's time to use the rotary cutter, I want to fire up the tractor and start cutting.

I have no time or patience for rotary cutters (or tractors or anything else) that have to be worked ON more than they are worked WITH. If I was retired or on a fixed income, I might feel differently.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #27  
In other words, youæ±*e scared to work on things. Thereç—´ nothing wrong with that, but not all of us mind a little rust and some welding.

No, I'm not scared of it. You know nothing about me, so keep your assumptions to yourself.

See my response to CCWKen above. Why are you guys that bought used mowers so defensive? I wasn't criticizing anyone for buying one; rather, I was simply answering the question YOU POSTED as to why anyone would buy a new mower. Perhaps buyers remorse is making you touchy.

Last edited:
   / Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #28  
Then be honest, it was clear you were making up things to justify your opinion.
When did I do that? My previous post here was my first in this thread, so how could I have been making things up?

I made no 渡asty and baseless remarks?
In my view, "...you're scared to work on things..." is both nasty and without any basis in fact. Just because the OP doesn't care to work on equipment doesn't mean he's scared to do so.

In fact, you verified exactly what I said.
Exactly how did I do that?

If you don't wan to work on equipment, you probably shouldn't own any. Everything fails eventually, and I'm not one to throw something away in order to avoid a little work.

Why not? There are lots of ways to get equipment fixed it if needs it, but you can avoid some of that by buying sound equipment to begin with.

I've got more valuable things to do with my time than fool with equipment - they are there to get a job done, not as something to eat up my time. It sounds like Pappy feels about the same.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #29  
. . .
The only point being, even assuming the absolute worst case scenario, a used brushhog will still cost a fraction of a new one for anyone willing to use a little elbow grease. And it's very unlikely there will be anything wrong with most used ones.

See, that's where it is different around here. Or at least it was when I was looking. The savings by buying used was $300 - $400, which was not enough to justify the risk.

So, I can agree that a used one will cost a fraction of a new one. The problem is that around here it is a LARGE fraction, not a SMALL one.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #30  
maybe you can buy a ATV slasher, I mean a slasher with its own engine and trailer, then you don't need to buy a tractor to save money.