Rotary Cutter Best rotary cutter for the $$$$

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #11  
Don't turn your back on used models either. I picked up my Ford 954 (5' heavy duty w/slip clutch) at an auction for $10 simply because it didn't look pretty, I guess. No one else bid. It had new blades and a new wheel on the back. Another auction find was a 6' flail mower for $35. The same thing there. Old paint but well maintained.

Set your budget and go get one! If you do buy used, be sure to look it over but don't base your decision on paint. ;) If that matters, paint it any color you want.
X2. Can’t imagine why one would spend new price for something like a brushhog, especially one that will get light usage.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #12  
X2. Can’t imagine why one would spend new price for something like a brushhog, especially one that will get light usage.

Because when I bought mine all the old worn out ones around here were priced almost as much as brand new. And also because I don't want to be one of those guys posting a thread on here about where to find a bearing or a seal or blades or gearbox or output shaft for some old Brand X mower that I thought I was saving money on. I don't have the time or the patience for it.

And, frankly, I think some guys save $500 buying some old beat up Brand X cutter and then spend most of that savings fixing all the broken and worn out stuff.

The most expensive part of a mower is the gearbox, and that's the part that is least susceptible to inspection by a potential buyer.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #13  
I have the king kutter 60" with the flex hitch. It works well and I have had no problems with it. It is made in the USA. I also found the price very good.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #14  
Well, even if the gear box blew out tomorrow, I got my $10 worth out of it. That works out to a buck a year. I haven't put a dime for parts in it. And I wouldn't call Ford "Brand X". Do I sense a bit of jealousy on a good find? :)

At least it wasn't bugger green, hemorrhoid red or baby-poop yellow. :punch:

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #15  
Because when I bought mine all the old worn out ones around here were priced almost as much as brand new. And also because I don't want to be one of those guys posting a thread on here about where to find a bearing or a seal or blades or gearbox or output shaft for some old Brand X mower that I thought I was saving money on. I don't have the time or the patience for it.

And, frankly, I think some guys save $500 buying some old beat up Brand X cutter and then spend most of that savings fixing all the broken and worn out stuff.

The most expensive part of a mower is the gearbox, and that's the part that is least susceptible to inspection by a potential buyer.
Pappy,I agree ran into the same problem around here junk used brush hogs that were beat to death for high $$.I ended buying a new brush hog BH16 no regrets yet.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #16  

In other words, you’re scared to work on things. There’s nothing wrong with that, but not all of us mind a little rust and some welding.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #17  
I gearbox is less than $200 for most cutters so it's not a huge deal. Two hour job if everything goes well.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #18  
In other words, you’re scared to work on things. There’s nothing wrong with that, but not all of us mind a little rust and some welding.

No, not all of us think working on equipment is fun. Some think it's fine that the last time they had a welder at hand was over 50 years ago, and that equipment is purchased to get the job done, not as a repair project.

If you like working on stuff fine, but that's no reason to make nasty and baseless remarks about people who don't.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #19  
No, not all of us think working on equipment is fun. Some think it's fine that the last time they had a welder at hand was over 50 years ago, and that equipment is purchased to get the job done, not as a repair project.

If you like working on stuff fine, but that's no reason to make nasty and baseless remarks about people who don't.
Then be honest, it was clear you were making up things to justify your opinion. I made no “nasty and baseless remarks”. In fact, you verified exactly what I said. There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to work on equipment, but that doesn’t make something with a little rust “junk”. The bushhog I have was bought used in the mid 80s, and to this day has never had anything done other than a little straightening/welding from pushing trees with it. If you don't wan to work on equipment, you probably shouldn't own any. Everything fails eventually, and I'm not one to throw something away in order to avoid a little work.

/ Best rotary cutter for the $$$$ #20  
Many opinions many makes and models.

I favor Woods Brushbulls. Their medium duty models BB-720X, 600X, 840X just can't be beat IMO.