Best midsized SUV

/ Best midsized SUV #11  
We were looking at the same vehicle segment about a year ago, when I started seeing inventory and deals happening. As of February 2023 we decided to hold off until probably this fall or next spring.

Anyway, One of my main concerns was what dealerships will be relatively close for future service where we plan to move in 2026 (we were considering new purchase) and that narrowed it down to Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Jeep.

So that had us look at,

Ford Explorer- They are very nice, super comfortable, many features and options to choose from and were being discounted. (Currently in the lead for me for various reasons)

Toyota Highlander, (Hard to find the exact trim level and options that suits us best), on test drives there were things I liked better about the Explorer.

Jeep Cherokee L (roughest ride, reliability concerns)

Chevy?? Didn't look at or test drive anything before pausing purchase, May look at a Traverse or Equinox or some similar model?

/ Best midsized SUV #12  
I too have been looking for a new used daily SUV. But my heart is set on a diesel.

/ Best midsized SUV #13  
Just sold my wifes 2013 Highlander, and it was absolutely bulletproof since the day we bought it. 22 mpg

Bought a new RAV 4 hybrid, hope for the same results with increased gas mileage. 39 mpg

/ Best midsized SUV #14  
OP is looking for a "roomy" SUV to handle a large family - preferably with 3 rows of seats. That removes most of the recommendations I see above.

I own a Toyota 4Runner. It is a compact vehicle! Not much roomier than my Jeep Wrangler. Same with the Toyota FJ Cruiser. If you want room, get something like the Chevy Suburban - or a minivan. Those can be had with all wheel drive and are very spacious.

/ Best midsized SUV
OP is looking for a "roomy" SUV to handle a large family - preferably with 3 rows of seats. That removes most of the recommendations I see above.

I own a Toyota 4Runner. It is a compact vehicle! Not much roomier than my Jeep Wrangler. Same with the Toyota FJ Cruiser. If you want room, get something like the Chevy Suburban - or a minivan. Those can be had with all wheel drive and are very spacious.
All the ones I mentioned have 3rd row seating.
Family isnt large. Me, Wife, 12yo son and 9yo daughter.

The issue is cargo space. The compass....try cramming in 2 lawn chains, two ball bags, 5-gal bucket of balls, coaches duffle with catchers gear, couple blankets, and a fold-up wagon.....all to tote to the ballfields a few times a week. Can be challenging.

The idea behind the 3rd row is for if the kids have friends stay and we want to go out to eat or movies or something. They are getting a little big to cram 4 (illegally) in the back of compass that dont have 3rd row.

The 3rd row will mostly not be used....just the few times a year for kids friends, etc. But the cargo room is really what I am after.

/ Best midsized SUV #17  
Had a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5 V6 AWD w/ 3rd row. Bought it used in 2014 w 14k miles, traded it in 2020 with 85k on it. The *only* problems I had with it were rodents chewing the wiring, and the original tires (Kumo?) pretty much sucked. Otherwise it was a great little SUV that took me and the wife a lot of places.

We didnt really use the 3rd row much, but the seats were nice when we did. Didnt have the best actualy hide-away type storage spots, but with both rows folded down a mattress will fit just fine :)

It's also no longer made, being replaced by the new Pacifica Minivan I believe.

/ Best midsized SUV #18  
Like desert eagle states mini- van hands down for storage while SUV = Super Useless Vehicle. No cargo space in majority of them compared to van.

/ Best midsized SUV #19  
On the SUV landscape..There is no shortage of options. .. I was in the market a couple months ago for a used one. My needs were #1 comfort, #2 Overall condition, #3 reliability. . Im 6-2" and 215 so the smaller SUVs were quickly ruled out in comfort. My sights were fairly quickly set on a Tahoe, a Yukon or an Escalade. .. We have had all of those at one point in the past with overall good ownership experiences. Happened to come across a 2018 Escalade with 38K miles on it, Its the short version with a 3rd row if needed, Otherwise it just lays down flat. I have had it now since February..So far no problems, Extremely comfortable and its in really good condition given its 5 years old.
It's averaging 19.3 mpg which I don't think is bad for the size of it. And the towing capacity is pretty decent if needed.

/ Best midsized SUV #20  
Wife went through this search a few months ago. I came to the conclusion a mini-van was the best option (for dog shows etc) But she refused to even look at one claiming she would rather preserve her dignity than drive a mini-van?