Best midsized SUV

/ Best midsized SUV #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Looking to upgrade to a midsized SUV. Currently have a jeep compass and with kids getting older....its just getting a little small. Finding more and more reasons for a 3rd row seat and/or the ability to fold them down and have more cargo room.

5 models keep coming up in my search parameters. Which is 2018+ with under 60k miles

Dodge journey seems to be the cheapest option.
But also looking at:
Nissan pathfinder
Kia sorento
GMC acadia
Mazda CX-9

Prices for an AWD 2018-2020 models with ~40-60k miles well equipped and leather seem to be $18k-$28k ballpark.

Just window shopping at the moment and would like to hone in on a single make/model or two. Any of the above have reasons to avoid at all costs? are they all fairly comparable? any known or common issues to look out for?

Just looking for some real world experience from others that may have been down this road shopping for a mid-sized SUV. And what lead you to buy what you did or avoid what you did. Or any other models to consider.

/ Best midsized SUV #2  
My sister is looking at the same type vehicle. Her last look was at a Toyota dealer. A 2020 Highlander with 28,000 miles was $42,000 was available while a new 2023 was $51,000 list price. Problem was that the dealer has 116 vehicles on order they haven't received yet. These are vehicles that people have paid money down on. They couldn't even guarantee that she would get a 2023 if she put down a sizable down payment.

RSKY

/ Best midsized SUV
My sister is looking at the same type vehicle. Her last look was at a Toyota dealer. A 2020 Highlander with 28,000 miles was $42,000 was available while a new 2023 was $51,000 list price. Problem was that the dealer has 116 vehicles on order they haven't received yet. These are vehicles that people have paid money down on. They couldn't even guarantee that she would get a 2023 if she put down a sizable down payment.

RSKY
Im seeing alot of the 20-30k mile 2020-2022 vehicles as well for ~$35k-$45k......

But honestly for half the money I'd rather go with a 2018-2019 with 60k. Just seems a smarter move financially to me.

/ Best midsized SUV #4  
My wife and I love our Ford Edge ST but no third row. My only complaint is the factory tires, they've only got 28K on them and they're about shot.

/ Best midsized SUV #5  
Used Toyota 4Runner. Normally aspirated 6 cylinder, 5 speed automatic. And will probably outlive any of the other vehicles you mentioned at a 2 to 1 ratio (with the possibility of the Mazda) if you keep it protected underneath from the effects of salt.

/ Best midsized SUV #6  
I've got to put my vote in for the previous generation Kia Sorento, 2016-2020. The wife and I leased one in 2019 to get out from under her mice-ruined Subaru Forester; we purchased it two years in. If you'd have told me in 2009 I would own a Kia I would have laughed; well, now I own a Kia, and a Korean tractor to boot.

I vouch specifically for the 2019-2020 mid-life refresh models, with the V6. The four cylinder models of the prior generation had some rare but significant issues, and I'm not a fan of small engines in larger vehicles. Anyhow, it will tow 5k pounds, though we've never towed with ours. It seats 5 comfortably, and 7 if you get the 3rd row and have two people you don't like. Since we've owned it we had a leak form on the water pump, it was replaced under warranty, and that's the extent of it. Our 12 year old backed it into a tree, and I ate the cost of parts out of pocket. Also, we very much regret getting the tan interior with children.

The Sorento has been great to us, and we're really happy with it. 85k miles 4 years, it's been nothing but reliable. Oh, and I've been extremely impressed with the 8 speed automatic.

55771741_10161556629585361_441586770480463872_o_10161556629580361.jpg

/ Best midsized SUV
Used Toyota 4Runner. Normally aspirated 6 cylinder, 5 speed automatic. And will probably outlive any of the other vehicles you mentioned at a 2 to 1 ratio (with the possibility of the Mazda) if you keep it protected underneath from the effects of salt.
Those seem to be about 50% more money for comparable age/mileage than the models I listed.

And when I check 3rd row seat in the search results 90% of them disappear....so maybe 3rd row wasnt popular in those models?

But the ones I see.....still at $35-$40k for 50,000 miles and 2019 I will take a pass on

/ Best midsized SUV #8  
I had good luck with a Honda Pilot. V6 power 20mpg. Lots of cargo space. Sold it for a BMW X5 which we hated interfacing with BMW technology.
Had the Mazda CX7. Good car to 150k miles then the suspension was shot. Sold it for another Honda CRX. We keep coming back to Honda. They are solid and they work.
A quick google search revealed these recommendations:

Best Used Midsize SUVs $20K to $25K for 2023
  • 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • 2019 Kia Sorento.
  • 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.
  • 2018 Mazda CX-9.
  • 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe.
  • 2017 Toyota Highlander.
  • 2020 Chevrolet Traverse.

/ Best midsized SUV #9  
We are on our second GMC Acadia(purchased new) both with the 3.6 V6.Excellent vehicle and decent gas mileage:28 mpg highway.I have owned quite a few over the years including 3 Subaru's(great also).

/ Best midsized SUV #10  
Good timing on this thread. I've been thinking that I need to trade in my F150 for a Ram3500 dually flat bed, and also get a smaller SUV for running around in.