Best Land Plane?

/ Best Land Plane? #11  
Somepeople use a 55 gal drum and fill it with
whatever they have available

willy

/ Best Land Plane? #12  
Old adage: "The best land planes of mice & men often go astray".

/ Best Land Plane?
Nice house. I was part of building an underground house 43 years ago too. I'm thinking that a normal land plane might not work the best at your location because of the rocks. Here, we order gravel that is all the same size and it planes out nice. Correct me if I'm wrong, you are dealing with everything from dust to rocks that might damage a vehicle. The land plane would probable be hopping over the larger stones. If you had something that would grade off the big stones and left the small stuff, I might work better???? :unsure:

Using York & Modern Implements Landscape Rakes as an ATV or UTV accessory
The side the house is on (white road possibly gypsum) never needs repairs or grading. It is like concrete but once broken loose it is like talcum powder and tons of dust. So I don't mess with it. The north or dark side has been graded repeatedly by a commercial grader that has popped out all the larger rocks. It gets regular touch ups because my home is where he parks when doing the road work in the valley. For the security of the storage of the grader he drops the blade on my road when going up and down to go work in the valley and cleans up the shiners with the rippers when found. The only larger rocks now are washed off the wall adjoining the road. They give my scraper blade fits and force me to dismount and manually remove them to toss them down the cliff. Otherwise the scraper blade will pop up and over them dumping the materials right there. Not as bad now with the 420# of weights on the Quick hitch. I doubt that would change much with the land plane. What I really deal with is ripples (stutter bumps) and tire channels in the clay when driven on when wet. Being retired now I just tell myself it's too wet and stay home. But that doesn't stop unwanted trespassers. As the road dries it turns into surface marbles that give dump trucks fits when coming down empty.

Last edited:
   / Best Land Plane?
Somepeople use a 55 gal drum and fill it with
whatever they have available

willy
I have plenty of weight just need to figure out to hang it on the land plane

/ Best Land Plane? #16  
I really like my Frontier. Has adjustable blades and sides.

1711931368300.png

/ Best Land Plane? #18  
I would bet - most LPGS will do just about the same job. Some are built heavier and have scarifiers - some don't.

Before I got my Land Pride LPGS - I used a 4 x 4 oak pallet. Weighted down with sacks of wood pellets. Simple rope yolk and pulled with my ATV. Worked pretty good until I wanted to work on my mile long gravel driveway.