Battery Replacement

/ Battery Replacement #1  

HAR

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300 (1999)
I went to start my tractor and the battery was a bit sluggish. It was only 32F (0c) outside, but still, sluggish.

I looked at my records, and I had installed a new Interstate 51R in 2009, replacing the OEM (Kubota) battery from 1999. While it still worked, I did not want to be caught mid-winter, so I replaced the Interstate with a NAPA 7551R.

I got to thinking. I wish batteries in my cars would last as long, but then again, I do not start my tractor as often either. Granted, it is a small tractor/engine, but the battery is small as well.

What are you thoughts? Are 10 & 13 years above average life spans for tractor batteries?

/ Battery Replacement #2  
It has nothing to do with being a tractor battery or lawn mower battery or truck or car battery.... Its all about battery quality and how it was maintained ....

10 years for a flooded cell battery not kept on a tender is probably on the way out.... Only battery that has gives me long life is a AGM battery, I have one in my dunebuggy that is almost 15 plus years old but is showing signed of it going to fail soon....

/ Battery Replacement #3  
I would not switch brands after getting 13 years of service out of Interstate.

/ Battery Replacement #4  
Same experience here….. I think my tractor battery is more than ten years old. Still starts right up; have never had to charge it or boost it.

Now that I’ve said that out loud, it will die on me tomorrow……

/ Battery Replacement #5  
Same experience here….. I think my tractor battery is more than ten years old. Still starts right up; have never had to charge it or boost it.

Now that I’ve said that out loud, it will die on me tomorrow……
I'm going on ten yrs with my interstate (Johnson Controls) battery in 3520H tractor and very reliable.

Info about automotive batteries made in USA:
Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies. The dominant replacement market brand names, Interstate and DieHard, are both Johnson Controls products, as is the Optima brand.

Wally-Mart batteries are also made by Johnson Controls.

The few USA battery makers also sell custom label batteries to a miriad of bargain battery sellers but there's just a few makers.

And Yes how you use and maintain the battery is real important. Ten years out of a car battery with no maintenance is rare...nowadays you're lucky to see five yrs out of a "maintenance free" battery. Over-discharging is really bad for lead-acid batteries so especially in cold or very hot conditions keeping the battery properly charged helps the battery life.

/ Battery Replacement #6  
By far the longest lasting battery I have ever seen is on my fathers Kubota. L3710. He bought it new in 2002 and now its 2022, that is 20 years and still running the battery it came with. I can not ever recall jumping it, and at 1400 hours the battery certainly has sat at times.

/ Battery Replacement #7  
When I bought my 2005 BX2230 in 2018 it still had the original Deka battery in it, but a year later it got pretty weak so I replaced it. Not bad life out of that one. I think the battery in my JD430 is over 15 years old and still going strong.

/ Battery Replacement #8  
Info about automotive batteries made in USA:
Most automotive batteries made in America are manufactured by one of two companies: Johnson Controls, Inc. or Exide Technologies.

I think you are forgetting these guys....

That’s East Penn Manufacturing.
A private, family-owned company operating
the largest single-site, lead battery
manufacturing facility in the world.

/ Battery Replacement #9  
whatever battery you decide, do not get one with removable cell inspection plates, get a maintenance free sealed.
had to replace my removable plate battery since it constantly weeped acid onto the tray.

/ Battery Replacement #10  
East Penn makes Deka. The last couple NAPA batteries also listed East Penn as the manufacturer.

The East Penn website also has a lot of general battery info.