Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #471  
At Home Depot model RY405110 $479.00 40 volt, several times they have had it on sale for $379.00 also have it on Ryobi website for $379. for bare tool. Has good reviews if you can believe them
Per Ryobi, their 20" 40V saw uses the same motor as the 18" model. The 14" & 16" 40V saws use a smaller motor.

I looked for a side-by side comparison with other saws. The only battery one I found was against a Milwaukee M18, but they used a standard 5.0 AH battery, rather than one of the recommended High Output batteries which Milwaukee recommends for the chainsaw. Also, the chain on the Milwaukee was dull, so even with the right battery it would really have been more of a test of chain sharpness than of the saw.

I did not find one comparing it to a 50cc gas saw. I did find one against a Husqvarna 460, but it was not very well done, and that's a 60cc saw.

Last edited:
   / Battery powered chainsaw #472  
I don't buy the blurb about cutting better than a 50cc gas saw. I'll put my Echo Timber Wolf up against any battery powered saw, anytime (running full chipper) not skip tooth chipper with a 20" bar. I bet I can cut more logs on one tank of canned fuel than the battery pack on that Ryobi lasts. Not counting bar oil which both saws require.

I can believe there are 50cc saws out there that the Ryobi can beat, if all you are measuring is time in a couple of cuts. I'd be surprised if it would beat the pro-level 50cc saws.

Battery saws have their place. At almost 16 lbs for 50cc-type performance, that Ryobi is certainly not something I'd want to carry around in the woods all day. I expect they'll continue to make inroads against gas saws as the technology improves. They are getting closer, and the kinds of work for which I find them acceptable is expanding each year, but they are not quite ready for a solid day of work in the woods ... yet.

I own a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 16" chainsaw, and use it occasionally. It seems to cut about like a decent 40cc gas saw (which is pretty much what Milwaukee claims). When I'm out for a day of work in the woods, it's one or two of my gas saws that are along for the ride.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #474  
Per Ryobi, their 20" 40V saw uses the same motor as the 18" model. The 14" & 16" 40V saws use a smaller motor.

I looked for a side-by side comparison with other saws. The only battery one I found was against a Milwaukee M18, but they used a standard 5.0 AH battery, rather than one of the recommended High Output batteries which Milwaukee recommends for the chainsaw. Also, the chain on the Milwaukee was dull, so even with the right battery it would really have been more of a test of chain sharpness than of the saw.

I did not find one comparing it to a 50cc gas saw. I did find one against a Husqvarna 460, but it was not very well done, and that's a 60cc saw.
Here is a comparison that includes the Ryobi saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #475  
Here is a comparison that includes the Ryobi saw.
That's not the same Ryobi saw. The 14 & 16" have a smaller motor than the 18 and 20" saws.

At any rate, I'm really hoping to find a compariso to a GOOD 50cc saw to really test out their claim that it cuts like a 50 cc saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #476  
Until the battery poops out..
Yeah, or until the gas tank is empty.

As noted earlier, I'm not using my battery saw when I'm out for a solid day of working in the woods. If I owned a 40 cc gas saw, I wouldn't use that either. (Just like I'm not going to use my 50cc gas saw when I have a bunch of 20"+ oak to cut up.) They've all got a purpose.

I've never actually measured this, but my impression is that when I'm cutting smaller limbs, the 12 Amp hour battery in my Milwaukee will last longer than a tank of gas in my 50cc Jonsered 2152 (sister saw to a Husqvarna 353). Cutting larger wood eats up the battery more quickly, but it's handy for small jobs.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #478  
I have the older Ryobi 14 inch 40 v chainsaw and it does good on smaller trees under 8 inches and it will cut 12 inch but not real easily. It has a place but not for larger trees . I just would like to compare it to the 20 inch Ryobi saw to see if it is that much more powerful. Like 5030 states a sharp blade makes a big difference and also chisel vs semi chisel.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #479  
The spare battery thing is no different than bringing a gas can.

For me, I'm too old to go out and cut all day anyway. One of the beauties of retirement is I work until I'm too hot or too tired and then I go into A/C and relax. The work will be there tomorrow. The battery will outlast me. On a good day, I can swap batteries faster than I can refill a gas tank.

The only real issue is the technology is developing. That means early adopters will probably have to upgrade. I know echo has just moved to a different battery, so that is probably a fair argument. Most of the arguments have more to do with machismo that the actual saw performance.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #480  
One of the reasons I went with Stihl AP is I’m betting they won’t abandon the platform…

I now have 3 batteries… 2 bought and one given in lieu for me bringing my blower to work each fall for the leaves.