Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,461  
I think the negative agenda, or the ending of the honeymoon period, started when Chicago had their big freeze. That is the first time I saw mass media criticism of the EV. As 2030 gets closer there will be more pushback from polls and the media and politicians will be backing away from electrification. It will not be the death spiral of anything EV or ICE just a maintaining of the status quo.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,462  
I think the negative agenda, or the ending of the honeymoon period, started when Chicago had their big freeze. That is the first time I saw mass media criticism of the EV. As 2030 gets closer there will be more pushback from polls and the media and politicians will be backing away from electrification. It will not be the death spiral of anything EV or ICE just a maintaining of the status quo.
What was the problems with EVs in Chicago?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,463  
What was the problems with EVs in Chicago?
Charging problems. Chargers failed, cars were too cold to take a charge, long lines and very frustrated EV owners.

“Public charging stations have turned into car graveyards,” reporters said, while calling depleted EVs “dead robots.”

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,464  
I am seeing more negative articles on EVs. Some of the "faults" have been there for years. But now, the same faults seem to have become justification for vilifying EVs.

I consider myself an EV realist. There is nothing currently I would want to purchase but that may change in the future.

EVs could be ideal for many folks as proven by folks here who are very pleased with their EVs.

So, I wonder, what is the agenda driving the negative stuff posted on so called news feeds on the web. I thought for a while it was anti-Musk drivel, but it seems more widespread than that.

Is anyone else seeing this or am I imagining it?

I'm seeing it too. But all electronic news is curated for you by AI. This is why people think everyone else is crazy for not sharing their world view. We all get carefully curated "truth". Again, watch The Social Dilemma... Eye opening

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,466  
If you read the acceptable amount of oil burning by car manufacturers it’s a pretty impressive amount for most of them.

I’m betting my Tesla will outlast my Chevrolet Malibu I bought brand new in 2013 and had issue after issue until it wouldn’t run with 130k on the odometer.
My 2018 Mazda 3 burns about a quart of oil between oil changes.
Thank goodness for 8 yr/ 120k battery warranty on my Tesla.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,467  
Charging problems. Chargers failed, cars were too cold to take a charge, long lines and very frustrated EV owners.

“Public charging stations have turned into car graveyards,” reporters said, while calling depleted EVs “dead robots.”

…But…but…. Battery cars are here to help bring back long cold winters, and make the planet colder …
What a paradox 😱

😁

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,468  
I’m betting my Tesla will outlast my Chevrolet Malibu I bought brand new in 2013 and had issue after issue until it wouldn’t run with 130k on the odometer.
Some people simply don’t know how to properly maintain their engines… apparently you’re one of them

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,469  
Ah yes that Tesla battery warranty with the qualifier that it will have 70 % of its original capability......so roughly 50% of its "when new range" .....when you account for max and min charge percents reccomended.....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,470  
We routinely run our ICE vehicles to 200k and never had one stop running. Or burn oil. Just regular changes every 5000-6000 miles and two brake pads replacements.
For a while we didn't even buy a car unless it had 80k on the odometer. And, half of those weren't Hondas or Toyotas, but GM products.