Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,841  
The Greens don't like the green solution?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,842  
Yesterday on news reported EV tire wear (heavier vehicle) rubber puts out more pollution than a new ICE exhaust.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,843  
That depends on where you live. Everything a kid would want is at least 30 miles out, except the creek swimming holes. No Uber or delivery of any kind around. Every teen wants a car/truck and license.
You're only reinforcing my point. The reason there's nothing within 30 miles of you, is that very few people live there. "Most people" automatically implies discussion of people living in an urban, or at least dense suburban, environment.

The razor thin fraction of the population hanging out in a tractor forum, is almost by definition, not "most people".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,844  
You're only reinforcing my point. The reason there's nothing within 30 miles of you, is that very few people live there. "Most people" automatically implies discussion of people living in an urban, or at least dense suburban, environment.
True.....

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,846  
6 month and I'll be closing the gates and will only see "people" when I want. No neighbors close enough to talk to me unless I want to.
I'm definitely in the minority.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,847  
Bottom trim level with no other options. Nice try though.
To get something equivalent to what I have in the Y, the Toyota website comes to $52,440.
My Y without tax incentives was $50K.
My son owns the Rav 4 Prime hybrid and it is nice but my Y is better in almost every metric.
Well you definitely got everyone beat in the metric of smugness. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,848  

Jim Cramer Sees A 'Breakout' For This Tesla Rival As Hybrid Sales Surge: 'I'm Urging People To Get Long This Thing'​

Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) has reported a significant increase in its monthly hybrid vehicle sales. This has caught the attention of investors and analysts, including CNBC’s Jim Cramer, who sees a potential investment opportunity in the automaker’s stock.

What Happened: On Monday, Tesla Inc rival Ford announced a remarkable 31.5% year-over-year surge in hybrid vehicle sales, further validating the success of its strategic shift. This news has driven Ford’s stock prices up by as much as 4%, reported CNBC.
Toyota was way ahead on this.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,849  
We are seeing what most of us predicted wrt to EVs. The surge is ebbing, and companies are having to back pedal.

Price reductions only do so much to prop up demand while profitability suffers. It does not signal an EV "death spiral". EVs will get better and cheaper but they will not dominate the market as quickly as many had hoped.

Ford has to move stale EV inventory and the posts Gale has shared reflect that reality. I don't believe any of their EVs are "bad" but they are not great either. Now, they may end up being "bad" a few years down the road. That is not a risk with an ICE vehicle with a proven track record and components shared across 100's of thousands of vehicles. The chances of "deep discounts" on an ICE F150 are miniscule.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #15,850  
Yesterday on news reported EV tire wear (heavier vehicle) rubber puts out more pollution than a new ICE exhaust.
That news has been around awhile, I remember hearing the same from another source last year, and it makes sense that tire wear is going to be higher on a heavier and torquier sedan, with constantly-active regen braking probably adding to tire wear. But on the flip side, not all "pollution" is equal. The concern with roadside rubber particulates being washed into waterways may be much lower than tailpipe emissions or brake pad particulates from ICE's. I don't know.

Listen, the only way to not impact our environment is to sit home and eat grass all day. Hell, even then, I'm probably accidentally squishing some poor dust mites under my feet, and killing a few worms. Claiming EV's wear out tires faster than ICE's feels like a similar argument to me, highlighting something that's probably small and irrelevant, as some sort of negating factor against their clear and overwhelmingly lesser impact on air quality and greenhouse gas emissions. They're certainly not perfect, but there's no way to argue they're not better, from a purely emissions-based perspective.

Last edited: