Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,671  
I think it's funny that the government could be "together" enough to have a plan!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,672  
You are looking too close at the daily numbers and not the annual numbers.

14.230 MWh/year divided by 365 is 38.986 kWh/day. On a 10 kW system that is darn near the 4 solar hours/day I have used as a total output estimate.
Incorrect. You plan for the worst…which is Winter. You obviously dont understand how to design these systems. I live with one. Daily is what matters. When you need power but you dont have it……that realization hits home very fast. Averages dont mean anything.

For example it doesnt matter what your annual average is if you cant charge your vehicle up 40 kw in January of if you cant charge it at all when it is raining or snowing out.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#14,673  
PG&E isn't paying what they used to for PV generated power.
What they used to? That’s an understatement. 80% reduction as far as I read.

So if you are in CA, then your argument for free electricity is mute. They also surge price you in the evenings, and are even trying to charge higher income earners more base rate for the same service. Not sure where else it’s that bad, but expect other utilities to eventually follow suit.

Do you have a solar array installed at your home?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,674  
That works out to 3.3 solar hours/day. I previously mentioned most of the country can get 4 solar hours/day or better.

A 7500 Watt installation is sort of small, only 20 panels. Roric could expand to 10 kW and once again eliminate his electric utility bill. He is fortunate in that he appears to be on a net-meter-parity program where he gets paid same or nearly the same for the power he puts in as he pays for power he takes out. This effectively turns the utility into a free battery for storage. Wonderful for Roric but a bad deal for the utility so it is a dying breed. Part of the recent fuss in California about solar installing companies going bust for lack of business. PG&E isn't paying what they used to for PV generated power.
Yep, the new solar deal is no longer lucrative... I'm on the old for 20 years.

My 6kW is three arrays totaling 36 panels... that is 2009 date of manufacture panels... new panels easily double the output and I have thought about upgrading put that would affect my buy back contract.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,675  
Ok...fear of the future and cleaner air to breathe. This has been discussed here before.
Wednesday I bought a new car (like we need another )...but a cheap hatchback serves a purpose. So far (156m) m.p.g. seems to be improving (motor break in ?), lots of idling & mix of city,hwy,hills and 41.6 m.p.g. average. Touch screen for music, GPS, phone. So not fearing the future and I didn't pay MSRP. It rides & handles fine. Cheap cars don't impress anyone...do we care?
Accent shown is what I traded in, so 10 year/100k mile warranty starts over again. My auto policy went up $31/year.
You believe EV is the future and I do not for a multitude of reasons. New ICE cars (like this El Cheapo) the emissions is very low.
So clean air you factor in ICE pollution + petroleum refining + manufacturing.
With electric factor in HOW electricity is produced including phasing in wind+solar (manufacturing & deforestation) as well as car & battery manufacturing.
Bottom line is ALL things must be considered, taking into account cargo ships, trains, tractor trailers, farm/industrial equipment and jets.
The idea of waving a magic wand, all petroleum use everything disappears, replaced with all battery powered everything is delusive contentment.

View attachment 850161View attachment 850162View attachment 850163View attachment 850164View attachment 850167View attachment 850168View attachment 850170
That is a beautiful blue car.anf a good price. Most of my cars have been more like $6K.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,676  
Toyota Mirai hydrogen car has slipped even into more expense to run

$160 to fuel it up and about $200 to travel 300 miles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,677  
Toyota Mirai hydrogen car has slipped even into more expense to run

$160 to fuel it up and about $200 to travel 300 miles.

That's no good. Not as bad as $45/gallon for
nitromethane...but expensive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,678  
That is a beautiful blue car.anf a good price. Most of my cars have been more like $6K.
Thanks but a car?...well, sort of. Just cheap transportation, small but not that bad. Amazing they're asking $10,900 for our 10 yo Accent.
At least it's new and great warranty.
So less than $2K/year (depreciation +gas+oil+insurance).
EVs serve a purpose certainly.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,679  
A bit deep for the beetle Goodbye warranty, and not talking about the VW.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,680  
Congrats on the New KIA Fuddy May it serve You well.