Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,661  
I am more scientific than most and decent with numbers. Have a four degree in Engineering and a Masters in Business. I have a good BS detector as well.

If I cannot make the numbers work, then someone needs to show me where I made an error. When I met with the "expert" trying to sell me a solar powered system he ended up looking like a shoe salesman...without the personality to make him worthwhile.

I not only "follow the science" I can understand it.

The link you posted is part of the EV BS. It is not difficult to understand adding more EV's, requires more power to be generated. I can buy the argument that most of that will be at night when loads are less but EV's will tax the power grid at some point. Why did Newsome direct people to not charge their EV's when CA faced rolling blackouts?

I don't care if a bunch of flakes want to save the planet, as long as they do not drag me along and expect me to believe their BS. And I resent having my taxes pay for their toys and delusions.
Hear! Hear!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,662  
We see the Volt drivetrain differently. I see it as acting similar to a trains diesel electric and there are cases of the original Volt making it over 400K miles.
My nephew's 2018 second gen has been a Great car. I need to ask how many miles it has rolled up now.
A diesel-electric locomotive is a series hybrid. Diesel engine driving an excited field alternator whose output is controlled and directly fed to the traction motors in the trucks. It would be more efficient if the diesel engine could mechanically drive the wheels, but controlling the ratio of engine RPM vs wheel RPM is excessively difficult. The series hybrid drive is simple, reliable, and gets the job done. The other efficiencies of a train more than make up for the inefficiency of the "transmission."

Large earth moving trucks use the same sort of series hybrid drive as a locomotive for the same reasons. Easy to get lots of low RPM torque without clutch or torque converter.

BMW i3 REx was a series hybrid. Failed miserably. Oddly I've seen 2 different ones the past couple days. Usually go months between spotting.

A Series Hybrid is exactly an EV with a genset in the trunk "for backup" so many armchair engineers (who have never really built anything, much less do the math) say they think EVs need.

A Volt is not a series hybrid, it is a parallel hybrid as is the Prius. The Volt engine can directly drive the wheels while electric motor can also drive the wheels. This is parallel. The Prius is elegant and simple much like the series hybrid locomotive with a single planetary gear power split device. The Volt transmission is a mechanical nightmare. The Prius transmission is a software control nightmare. Is said Toyota engineers took 8 months to get the first prototype drivable, and then only barely.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,663  
Re: Driving on sunshine
Our home array is 20x375 watt panels, 4 years 3 months since online.
Grid-tied inverter, self-installed (retired electrician). 7.5kw.
This has generated about 9 mega-watt-hours per year, 750 kwh per month, 25 kwh per day. In the frozen tundra of central Minnesota.
That works out to 3.3 solar hours/day. I previously mentioned most of the country can get 4 solar hours/day or better.

A 7500 Watt installation is sort of small, only 20 panels. Roric could expand to 10 kW and once again eliminate his electric utility bill. He is fortunate in that he appears to be on a net-meter-parity program where he gets paid same or nearly the same for the power he puts in as he pays for power he takes out. This effectively turns the utility into a free battery for storage. Wonderful for Roric but a bad deal for the utility so it is a dying breed. Part of the recent fuss in California about solar installing companies going bust for lack of business. PG&E isn't paying what they used to for PV generated power.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,664  
Two vehicles serve an identical purpose, one costs $30K new the other $60K new. If the less expensive costs double price per mile are you really saving money, is it break-even or a loss over time?
Roric's EV is a Bolt which is well under $30,000, not the $60,000 of your fantasy.

Even my fancy Tesla was only $49k. Pre tax credits.

Do your math again.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,665  
But that doesnt solve the issue with carbon emissions for 25% of NY…thats still a problem Right?
I've never said it was.

I like carbon, especially CO2. It makes my plants grow. Recent years with increasing CO2 in the atmosphere as greened more deserts, making the Earth greener than it has been in many millennia. Since the dinosaurs.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,666  
Roric's EV is a Bolt which is well under $30,000, not the $60,000 of your fantasy.

Even my fancy Tesla was only $49k. Pre tax credits.

Do your math again.
Reading comprehension skills! Work on that.
As an EXAMPLE.
Real world $18K 41mpg. Does that make you happy...less grumpy???
Now you'll counter with no comparison between an $18K El Cheapo vs a $49K Tesla! Pre tax rebate (I'm sorry CREDIT) which I and other taxpayers pay for since no EV or too high AGI.
You should thank me paying your $7,500 credit you are getting (although you said you won't tell me.)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,667  
I've never said it was.

I like carbon, especially CO2. It makes my plants grow. Recent years with increasing CO2 in the atmosphere as greened more deserts, making the Earth greener than it has been in many millennia. Since the dinosaurs.
What plants? You mean the ones not growing around windmills and under acres of solar panels?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,668  
I have a 12KW off grid system that powers my Shop. Ground mount set at 35 deg angle (maximized for Winter where I am ) and facing due South. It’s the best setup I can get for my area other than a ground mount tracking system (which doubles the cost).

Below is Madison, AL with a 10 kw system mounted at the perfect 31 deg angle, static mount on say a house with all panels pointed due South. As you can see the max you will get is about 6 kw on average. Nowhere close to 10. If you have trees anywhere that shade at any part of the day, it’s closer to zero unless you have arrays in series and specific wiring to allow each series to provide power separately from the others. If you are cloudy, rainy, snowy, the numbers drop closer to zero.

When you look at the link, bottom right of page gives your hourly PV power broken down by Month…thats what I am referencing. Click on the View Details button to expand it.

You are looking too close at the daily numbers and not the annual numbers.

14.230 MWh/year divided by 365 is 38.986 kWh/day. On a 10 kW system that is darn near the 4 solar hours/day I have used as a total output estimate.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,669  
Reading comprehension skills! Work on that.
As an EXAMPLE.
Real world $18K 41mpg. Does that make you happy...less grumpy???
Now you'll counter with no comparison between an $18K El Cheapo vs a $49K Tesla! Pre tax rebate (I'm sorry CREDIT) which I and other taxpayers pay for since no EV or too high AGI.
You should thank me paying your $7,500 credit you are getting (although you said you won't tell me.)
2023 Bolt is $26,600 MSRP with dealers willing to make deals on top of that. Then it qualifies for the up-to (not everyone gets all of it) $7500 Federal tax credit, and possibly state tax incentives as well.

Roric was used as an example but $60k was used as his EV purchase price. Didn't say he purchased new. This truck guy bought one with 20k miles for about $20k, he doesn't say specifically.
Oops, wasn't aware that required a login to view.