Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,861  
I had my first tire damage from a sharp Rock that I can remember on the right rear Tesla I found out today. Locally, the OEM Continental tires run $315 each so I decided to go ahead and buy two new ones for the rear since they was showing a lot of wear but not down to the wear indicators yet.

While another guy was fixing the flat, the guy working with ordering a new tires came back out all excited. He said you got lucky.

It turns out that apparently Continental is discontinuing that line of tire but he had two. The two were in the warehouse so he ordered them and they only cost $159 each. So I got two new tires so when they all wear out next time I'll be ready for four and I'll go with some of the current technology and compounds.

I like having identical tires on an all-wheel drive vehicle just in case one performs differently in snow, ice or water.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,862  

Of this article shows 10 cars that should be good for over 300,000 mi.

Based on our 2004 Honda CRV with 170,000 mi on it and the Prius c 2015 with 120,000 mi on it it seems the this article is probably valid but anytime with used stuff you have to look at the whole picture.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,863  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,864  
Volvo has an EV with a back-up plan. Interesting way to market an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,865  
I got two new tires so when they all wear out next time I'll be ready for four and I'll go with some of the current technology and compounds.

And a fat wallet! :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,867  
I like having identical tires on an all-wheel drive vehicle just in case one performs differently in snow, ice or water.
With mechanical AWD it is fairly important to keep identical tires of approximately the same wear on all 4 corners to minimize slip left/right front/rear. With Tesla's Dual Motor AWD the slip can be managed electronically.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,868  
Revolutionary tech company transforms home energy storage with simple, modular method — here's how it works

By 2050 old farm boys will be harvesting more and more of their own energy needs because of dropping costs to do so will be a low brainer.
Did you actually suffer through that hyperbole to understand what Yotta is offering? Batteries at the solar panels. Saved you pages of reading B.S.

This is a terrible solution. Grid tie systems will still shut down when power fails. Why go to the effort to install dozens of new inverters and batteries, one at each solar panel, at greater expense than a proper hybrid inverter and battery, and still not be able to operate off-grid during an outage?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,869  
Did you actually suffer through that hyperbole to understand what Yotta is offering? Batteries at the solar panels. Saved you pages of reading B.S.

This is a terrible solution. Grid tie systems will still shut down when power fails. Why go to the effort to install dozens of new inverters and batteries, one at each solar panel, at greater expense than a proper hybrid inverter and battery, and still not be able to operate off-grid during an outage?
Thanks for explaining that. I do not yet have hands on or detail planning solar systems experience.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #16,870  
Thanks for explaining that. I do not yet have hands on or detail planning solar systems experience.
I am planning on PV solar on new house construction.

Years ago grid-tie was The Thing. An inverter between PV panels and power grid. Syncs 60 hz to the grid and when that pilot signal disappears the inverter shuts down.

Then the Tesla Powerwall added battery and dedicated inverter/charger all on the AC grid side. Adds an Energy Gateway between the grid and house to monitor power flow and physically disconnect on grid failure. Then Powerwall(s) kick in providing the 60 Hz which keeps the grid-tie inverter running, continuing to produce pv power.

Today the thing to do is use a hybrid inverter with grid, PV, battery, and home side AC all in one unit. This is what I am planning. Nominally a Sol-Ark 15k.