Bar oil quality

/ Bar oil quality #81  
Really amazing how they go from low to overfilled so quickly isn't it? Gasoline too, why I use a 2.5 gallon gas can and only mix a gallon at a time, which is what the Stihl mini bottles are geared for.

/ Bar oil quality #82  
Really amazing how they go from low to overfilled so quickly isn't it? Gasoline too, why I use a 2.5 gallon gas can and only mix a gallon at a time, which is what the Stihl mini bottles are geared for.
I bought the 2 stroke oil that has the squeeze measuring second reservoir, kept the container. I refill with whatever kind I find, hard to mix 40:1 with the little 2.6oz. bottles. I know most run 50:1, but I don't.

/ Bar oil quality #83  
What I found confusing was those mixing graphs.
Considering that most are for USA volumes you have to convert US gal to Cdn gal but then we now use liters so convert gals to liters.
No matter, I tend to err on the richer (oilier) side and prepared to replace the odd spark plug.

I'm in my '80's and have run more than my share of 2 strokes from chain saws, ATV's and many outboards and snow sleds and never had an engine seize.
'Back then' we'd simply use SAE 30 ,non detergent, for our 2 stroke engines.

I once tore down an old 25 HP Jonson outboard that I had run a tank full per sunny day for 3 years* or so expecting problems but that VERY overworked and abused motor was nice as new inside.
LOL, that ole 25 had actually jumped off of the transom at least 7/8 times and always started once the plug was dried and bowl emptied. (oily transom and lose clamps)
LOL, Got so that I had a tether attached for fast easy retrieval.

*we practiced a lot for water ski shows and competitions back then.

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
   / Bar oil quality #84  

I like those push button no spill cans for filling 2 stroke equipment. I usually mix 2 gallons in a 2.5 gallon can.

/ Bar oil quality #86  
The chainsaw engine is turning a lot of rpm’s but I doubt the bar and chain is turning faster than a car engine.
most of the time the chain speed is measured in length traveled for a given time..
A chainsaw revving to 12,000 rpms will make its 3/8ths chain travel about a mile per minute.
More sprocket teeth, the the longer the distance.
A 302 Ford engine piston at 6000 rpm travels 2500 ft per minute w a 3" stroke.

That's a lot of trivia of no use whatsoever but its what one tends to get when a logger also drag raced.

Last edited:
   / Bar oil quality #87  
Is not a fair comparison: An engine is a closed system and the oil is pressurized; a chainsaw is has an oil pump that puts oil on the bar, but not under pressure.

most of the time the chain speed is measured in length traveled for a given time..
A chainsaw revving to 12,000 rpms will make its 3/8ths chain travel about a mile per minute.

That's a lot of trivia of no use whatsoever but its what one tends to get when a logger also drag raced.

/ Bar oil quality #88  

I just calculated my wife's car,, @ redline, the piston travels .969 miles per minute,,
at 9,000 rpm, piston speed is 4965 ft/min,, which was higher than any other production car to date.
It has molybdenum disulfide-coated piston skirts for reduced friction.

No wonder it needed tires every 10,000 to 15,000 miles,,,

sIVyuFd.jpg

and, it uses 5W-30 oil,,

maybe, my chainsaw needs a molybdenum disulfide-coated chain bar?? :eek:

/ Bar oil quality #89  
I just calculated my wife's car,, @ redline, the piston travels .969 miles per minute,,
at 9,000 rpm, piston speed is 4965 ft/min,, which was higher than any other production car to date.
It has molybdenum disulfide-coated piston skirts for reduced friction.

No wonder it needed tires every 10,000 to 15,000 miles,,,

sIVyuFd.jpg

and, it uses 5W-30 oil,,

maybe, my chainsaw needs a molybdenum disulfide-coated chain bar?? :eek:
Nice s-2000. What year?

/ Bar oil quality #90  
Is not a fair comparison: An engine is a closed system and the oil is pressurized; a chainsaw is has an oil pump that puts oil on the bar, but not under pressure.
Not getting your drift...I just offered some useless info and compared nothing about, heat, friction, oiling open or closed.
I full well know there can't be a comparison to an i.c.e and chainsaw bar oiling.
Perhaps you meant your post to Dodge man who I guess initially brought up a comparison?

Now if we were talking about two stroke vehicles..well...watch

Last edited: