Bar grove and cover cleaning tool

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #11  
I use a putty knife both for cleaning the saw under the cover and the bar groove. But the brush looks like a good idea.

I have the luxury of being able to clean and sharpen the saws in my garage/shop so I can finish the cleaning with compressed air.

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #12  
I use a tiny flat blade screwdriver in the bar groove, and my air . I do this compressor blow gun,almost after every use. and of course rags. Careful not to point the air "into" anything that can clog.

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #13  
I just use a flat blade screwdriver and rake it along the groove and follow up with old toothbrush, but then I am not paranoid or professional and only may use saw for few hours a week....

My main concern is the chain oiling hole in bar is not plugged...

Last edited:
   / Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #14  
I use the flat tip on the spark plug/bar bolt wrench to clean the bar groove and to clean the accumulated crud.

At home, in the shop whatever is handy that fits in the groove, blow gun and also flip the bar each time, also check the tip make sure in moves. I no longer put near the hours on the saw that i once did.

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #16  
I have a flat bladed screw driver that I've ground down - clean the bar groove. Never worried about the cover. Besides the cover slowly but surely gets ripped to shreds.

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #17  
I use a Painters tool for the bar and also a brush. Along with a battery powered blower if compressed air is not around.

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool
The bar groove does need to be scraped out to make sure the oil is lubricating bar where its needed. Of course the oil ports need clearing as well. The cover needs to be cleaning out to help the chips to get out. While cleaning it, its a good time to look for broke or worn components in there..

/ Bar grove and cover cleaning tool #19  
I repurposed a laundry detergent bottle for bar oil. It has a handy little valve that's ideal for filling the saw without spilling oil or having to use a funnel.