Ballast Ballast in tires - problem

/ Ballast in tires - problem #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
When I got my B3030, they said I need ballast in the tires for snow blowing so I figured OK and everything has been fine. It has been very cold the last few weeks, most nights are below zero, and it hasn't been above freezing for several weeks. So today I decided to take a run down the road to see a friend. I put it in high gear and take off the 4WD and proceed to cruise and it is extremely bumpy as the one of rear tires goes around, like there is a big nob on the tire in one spot. I look at the tires and I see nothing. I just wonder if that liquid ballast has frozen and causes the funky ride. Any ideas?

/ Ballast in tires - problem #2  
What liquid was used?
You can check if it is ice by rotating the tire valve stem to the bottom of the rim and see if liquid squirts out... KennyV.

/ Ballast in tires - problem #3  
Sure sounds like it might be frozen. I would check it as Kenny said and find out what the dealer used. Surely a local dealer should know what the temp range for your area is and use the proper type of fill. If it is freezing you can damage the inner walls of a tire with ice.

MarkV

/ Ballast in tires - problem #4  
Watch your eyes when checking that liquid ballast! :cool:

/ Ballast in tires - problem #5  
How bad is the ride? My 3030 has filled rears and when I put it in high range at maybe 2,000 RPM on the road the ride feels kind of undulating, that is the only way I can describe it. Maybe it is not frozen but just feels weird normally?

/ Ballast in tires - problem #6  
smfcpacfp said:
When I got my B3030, they said I need ballast in the tires for snow blowing so I figured OK and everything has been fine. It has been very cold the last few weeks, most nights are below zero, and it hasn't been above freezing for several weeks. So today I decided to take a run down the road to see a friend. I put it in high gear and take off the 4WD and proceed to cruise and it is extremely bumpy as the one of rear tires goes around, like there is a big nob on the tire in one spot. I look at the tires and I see nothing. I just wonder if that liquid ballast has frozen and causes the funky ride. Any ideas?
Sounds frozen. Dont move it any more than you can help. Get a little fluid out by warming the valve area and test it in your freezer. I think you will have an issue with whoever filled them.
larry

/ Ballast in tires - problem
When I am snowblowing, I just creep along and it isn't an issue. However, I will stop by the dealer today and see what they have to say. My wife, daughter and I are leaving for a 3 week trip to Fiji on Christmas day, so that might be a good day to have them pick it up and thaw it out.

/ Ballast in tires - problem #8  
I would wonder as to a problem with the mix used. The other side that we see is that one doesn't get filled as much as the other and on the lighter side after a leak what do you do to even out the fluid.

/ Ballast in tires - problem #9  
I have a B3030 and also a L4200 and after sitting for some time, they both develope flat spots in the tires,it's mostly because of the soft rubber used to manufacture tires. After using the tractor for a breif period of time the tires become round, the B3030 has a windsheild wash at -50, the L4200 has nothing, both seem to have the slight flat spots only in the winter. Both tractors are in a heated garage.

/ Ballast in tires - problem #10  
The Nylon cords in most tractor tires are well known to develop flat spots from setting, especially in cold weather. I would suspect that that is your problem. If your air pressure is low then the flat spot will be worse. Driving it for a few minutes will get things flexible again. I have had my B3030 for a little over two years and it is a great little tractor. Good luck.