Baling hay with a CUT

/ Baling hay with a CUT #41  
I had a Kubota full color brochure showing a Grand L pulling a Heston 500 series round baler (and I think it was a L4310). I don't know what I did with it but I'll look and try to post the picture of it. I don't think of a CUT being designed for haybaling so I never plan on using one for it but this picture would sure convince one that it was possible.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #42  
I think I have that brochure at home because my 3710 was bought in 2001. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #43  
Hi Buck1,

John Miller III posted a similar <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/47-174963-KubotaL4310HSTBalingHay-cropped.jpg>picture</A> earlier in this thread.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #44  
Checked the John Deere site for spec.'s on square baler. The ones I looker at had a required PTO of 35 HP. Why would you not bale hay with a 4710 w/ 40 HP PTO?

/ Baling hay with a CUT
You can sure do it. But all I've got to say is hook one up and try it. When that plunger comes around and packs the bales it does throw the tractor around. The tractor lurches forward and back every time the plunger comes around. I've baled a few times with my 4600 but I wouldn't want to do it very often.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #46  
doc,

Is a round baler any easier on a tractor compared to a square baler?

/ Baling hay with a CUT
A round baler is harder on a tractor Mike plus you've got ALOT of extra weight. I really can't believe that Kubota puts these tractors in their ads pulling a round baler. I guarantee you get on a hill sideways or up and down and you are going to have problems. I think it's complete lack of any common sense that they do that. I've seen guys with big tractors get in trouble with round balers on hills not to mention the hydraulics to run one as well. If you talk to a JD dealer they won't even sell you a compact tractor to bale hay with, be it a square baler or a round baler. It's kind of like taking one of these little Toyota pickups and hooking a big 4 horse gooseneck trailer to it. Sure it could probably pull it but it's not a very good idea and you are going to ruin something plus it's only a matter of time before you have an accident. Just like Ford pulling that ice cutter ship in their ad. Sure it may be able to do it but you're not going to!!! I abuse my 4600 alot and this is something even I wouldn't do.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #48  
Back in my ole farming days I use to pull a square baler with kicker plus a wagon behind it, with an Farmall M. Now I'm guessing that the M's horsepower was around 40 Hp. There are compacts by orange, blue and green that are in the 40 to 48HP range presently being marketed, are you saying that they would not be up to the same task?

/ Baling hay with a CUT #49  
Very well put, Richard.

Fellers, what you can do (at least for a short time) and what you ought to do is sometimes a long ways apart./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Baling hay with a CUT #50  
I encounter this problem frequently with the users that I support. I ask them if their vehicle would cease to function if they were to drive through a stop light. Then I ask them if that makes it ok.

I don't know much Latin and I'll probably misspell this but ...

"Abusus non tolit usum"

which means

"Abuse is not an argument against proper use."