Baling hay with a CUT

/ Baling hay with a CUT #11  
Robert, I couldn't agree more: Look at the new JD "10" series. What's with all this "e" stuff? I am not, by any means, bashing on them, but they don't float my boat. Give me a Farmall 504 or a John Deere 4020 anyday. THOSE are tractors!

/ Baling hay with a CUT #12  
I agree, IHC. New tractors do have some nice features, but my two vintage tractors have never let me down. Unless you have the money to buy some REALLY big new stuff, for heavy work like hay baling, give me vintage tractors!

/ Baling hay with a CUT
Really Rich you don't need alot of money to buy the big tractors. I have less money in my 4020 and my 4430 than I do in my 4600!!!

/ Baling hay with a CUT #14  
You're right. My brother-in-law just picked up a 4320 with a cab for like $7500. Not a good tractor for mowing your lawn though...I don't have enough lawn to turn it around. The Powr shift 4020 is great for pulling a baler and hayrack.

/ Baling hay with a CUT
Amen on the 4020 powershift for baling!!! That's what I use and it is nice. I don't think you could find a better tractor for square baling.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #17  
Do you know which transmission the L3710 had? I'm curious because I've baled hay for two years using an L3710. HST. An option on the baler I'm using, an NH 310, was a 2 cyl. 17.5 hp Wisconsin engine. I can't believe that had more torque than a 3 cyl. Kubota diesel engine (88.7 ft-lbs max).

Kubota does have a catch-all phrase in the operators manual stating: "Use with implements which exceed the maximum specifications stated below, or which are otherwise unfit for use with the Kubota Tractor may result in malfunctions or failures of the tractor ... [Any malfunctions or falures of the tractor resulting from such use with improper implements are not covered by the warranty.]"

The ram does shake everything, but a baler has a slip clutch or shear pin if needed. Any idea which baler he was using? The local dealer says as long as you don't exceed the pto hp you'll be ok. They haven't had anyone tear a pto up. Something seems strange about this story. Did the guy substitute a grade 8 bolt for the shear pin and then pickup something the ram couldn't compact?

/ Baling hay with a CUT
Darin,
It was a gear drive tractor and I'm not sure of the model of the baler. It was about the size of a jd 24T. When this happened he was just out baling. I know the slip clutch worked because last fall I baled for him while he stacked on the hayrack. We were baling some heavy hay and if you weren't careful it would plug up.

/ Baling hay with a CUT #19  
The 2001 Kubota brochure shows a L4310 operating a Hesson 540 round bailer. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Baling hay with a CUT
What size bales does that 540 make?