Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
A lot of good advice here. However, when I called my insurance agent, I found I have $4000 deductible on my homeowners. Since this is the first potential claim I've had here in the 13 years I've owned it, I'm probably money ahead, but I'm on my own here (unless I want to go after my neighbor, which I don't want to do.)

I don't have any equipment close to capable of lifting this so I did as I usually do - make do with what I have. The first thing I did was trim what I could with my pole saw from the ground and cleaned up the area.

Barn3.JPG

Then I got on the roof and trimmed everything that wasn't loaded to reduce the weight and limit the potential for things twisting into the barn as it came down. My 20v Dewalt pole saw was a real hero here. It did a great job. Also, a tip for anyone else in this situation - take a broom up on the roof with you. It's gets slippery with the wood chips and sawdust.

Barn4.JPG

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
Next step, I cut a big notch in the top edge of the tree, as high as I could comfortably reach. Then I undercut it until it started to move and ran like hell. As I had feared, it did hit the side of the barn as it fell, so I've got to replace a piece of siding, as well as some roof sections. I did get lucky though in that all the wall damage was confined to a single piece. Now that it's down, I will have to work out the repairs.

Barn6.JPG

Barn5.JPG

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
Yes, I've got a major mole project coming this year. With our mild winter, they have appeared all over and pretty much wreaked havoc on all my yard. I really hate moles.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #15  
That looks like it's been hald dead for a while. You may need to be prepared for the insurance not to cover it due to deglect.

You really dont need a large piece of equipment to remove that tree. Cut everything on the roof except for the main trunk that's alreaty on the garage. Then get off the garage roof and cut short enough that the rest of the trunk wont hit the wall. Your prob left with a 4ft section of trunk that will be falling uncontrolled. A 4ft section if it even does hit the building may damage 2 pannels and 2 more pannels is alot cheaper than a crane.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #16  
Yes, I've got a major mole project coming this year. With our mild winter, they have appeared all over and pretty much wreaked havoc on all my yard. I really hate moles.
I just noticed I have mole activity by my barn. Never had that before.....

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #17  
Next step, I cut a big notch in the top edge of the tree, as high as I could comfortably reach. Then I undercut it until it started to move and ran like hell. As I had feared, it did hit the side of the barn as it fell, so I've got to replace a piece of siding, as well as some roof sections. I did get lucky though in that all the wall damage was confined to a single piece. Now that it's down, I will have to work out the repairs.

View attachment 783831

View attachment 783832
Nice job! Did your neighbor offer to help with cost or labor? Asking for a friend! ☮️✌🏻

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #18  
How did the roof look? Did it bust the purlin? Puncture the roof metal?

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #19  

View attachment 783832
Looks like it's time for another window.