Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #82  
KennyG said:
A tree fell on my $250 metal storage shed. They gave me $1700 for removing the the broken tree. I removed it myself and didn't see what they called a difficult removal but the money was welcome as the shed was very old and rusted.

How much did your premium go up because of your claim?

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #83  
Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

Youneighbors tree.

Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it loos like one or two purlins might be broken.

Yesterday I found a tree on my pole barn. It was actually on my neighbors property. I noticed it was dead last year and thought about suggesting we take it down. It would have been tight to get it between our barns, but I wish we had tried now. I have to call the insurance company but I think I will probably take it off myself since it's hard to get tree services on short notice. It doesn't look likely to roll or twist on me. Since I have a ceiling and insulation, I can't tell if there is structural damage but it looks like one or two purlins might be broken.

I would think your neighbor holds the responsibility for the damage his tree, from his property caused. Your insurance might require you to go through them first...

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #84  

View attachment 783725
View attachment 783724
Isn't your neighbor responsible for the damages and removal?

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #85  
If me, I would make a ton of photographs and measure the distance from your line to the base of the tree on the neighbors property. I would then request the name of his insurance company and request he report the tree fell and damaged your building. I would hold off on any tree removal or trimming until the insurance company has an opportunity to look at the tree and your damage.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #86  
If me, I would make a ton of photographs and measure the distance from your line to the base of the tree on the neighbors property. I would then request the name of his insurance company and request he report the tree fell and damaged your building. I would hold off on any tree removal or trimming until the insurance company has an opportunity to look at the tree and your damage.
Did you read more than the first post of this thread? :)

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #87  
In my Insurance World an adjuster comes, offers a cost to repair, we negotiate and come to terms, Insurance writes a check for that amount, I'm on my own.

I've never tried to make the insurance company fix my damage. Maybe I'm missing something? :)
I think you left out the step "I get private contractor's bids". The insurance company is never on your side.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #88  
View attachment 785767
January 13th, 2021 My house is the red tip on the left, this was my wife's uncle's pole barn, erected 3 months prior.
TractorTYMe, Man I am so sorry to see that!! Nice pole shed, nice car and nasty pine causing troubles! I can't really see if the car escaped damage or not but that is a nasty mess to have to deal with. It's gonna give you some tractor time with your grapple at least.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #90  
Did you read more than the first post of this thread? :)
Yep. I also took this into consideration from what the OP, posted.

“How do you know if a tree is a hazard? If the tree is dead, dying, rotten, or diseased, or alive but obviously hazardous because it is leaning precariously toward another property, the owner of the property where the tree grows will most likely be liable for any damage caused by the tree if it falls on another's property.“

“ On the other hand, if a tree is alive, appears to be healthy, and is not leaning toward another's property, and the tree falls because of a hurricane (normally considered an "Act of God"), then the owner of the lot from which the tree fell will probably not be liable for any damage the fallen tree causes. While there are circumstances that could shift the liability, they are rare.”