Bad Day for Pole Barn

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #101  
Having read all the posts my only issue is that the neighbor didn't offer to pay for materials to repair your barn nor help with the repairs.
Yeah Kenny is definitely my choice for a neighbor. đź‘Ť

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
Having read all the posts my only issue is that the neighbor didn't offer to pay for materials to repair your barn nor help with the repairs.

My guess is he doesn't even know about it. His barn hides it from his house and driveway. His wife has health issues and he's not out much in the winter. The tree is kind of minor in the big picture.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #103  
My guess is he doesn't even know about it. His barn hides it from his house and driveway. His wife has health issues and he's not out much in the winter. The tree is kind of minor in the big picture.
Absolutely Kenny. Good on you for how you've handled this. Thanks for the thread!!! :cool:

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #104  
If the tree is on your neighbors property, his insurance will have to take care of it.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #105  
I'm not sure if my neighbor even knows this happened since he can't see it from his house. We get along great so I wouldn't bother him but I probably will kid him about his trespassing tree next time I see him. When it's over I think I will be out a few hundred dollars and a days work.

If the tree is on your neighbors property, his insurance will have to take care of it.

No doubt some of these laws will vary from state to state but in South Carolina if the tree was dead or a known threat the owner of the tree would be responsible for repairs. Yes, his insurance company would step up as it is a liability claim so no deductible (normally). But, since it was not reported you may find a battle there, but you may have a decent adjuster and enough pictures to suit them. Now, I have been out of selling property insurance for 20 years and it may have changed some. BTW, the State Farm person telling such was a "CIVIL" issue between you two...really, are not many if not most insurance claims a "civil" matter? Sure, some are criminal but really most are a civil matter, I think. Realize that was another person and case and not the OP. Adjustors are like others, sometimes they are right and sometimes they say the dumbest things. Had a claims person tell me once a fire that began in our fireplace was not covered since it was a friendly fire. But about five minutes later was calling me back to say she was sorry; the moment it left the fireplace it was no longer "friendly".

My advice to anyone who has an issue with an insurance company is to call your State Department of Insurance and talk with them. They can be very helpful.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #106  
I have a 60ft Eucalyptus , The 2 1/2 acre lot next to me sold last year , now there is a house 15ft from my property line and nearly under the tree. Tree is healthy but I am thinking of taking it down before something happens. I don't have a neighbor like Kenny.

Last edited:
   / Bad Day for Pole Barn #108  
Had the same thing happen . Trimmed the branches and then installed a brace 5' from the gutter. Notched the top and sawed up from the bottom until as you say it started to move. Took some bumping at the base but it finally parted and came down. The top was manageable at that point . In the end since it was on the rear I straightened the bent panels and sealed a couple of suspicious spots. Don't think anyone but me could even see it. One of my luckier moments.

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn
Just to close the loop on this. After waiting to get materials and good weather, I finished the repair. When I removed the damaged roof section I found I had two cracked purlins.

roof1.JPG

I spliced in some 2x4s to repair the damage.

roof2.JPG

I slid the repair panels under the old metal, up to the next purlin.

roof4.JPG

I also replaced one sidewall panel but there was no structural damage. Total cost was about $150. Since this is a tractor site, I did use the tractor to get some of the material up to the roof and also to hold the sidewall panel up while I worked it under the eave trim.

roof3.JPG

/ Bad Day for Pole Barn #110  
Good report Kenny. I had wondered a few times how everything turned out. No Truss damage was a Blessing!!!! Thanks for the update and pics including the tractor!!!! :)