Backyard Shed for BX Tractor

/ Backyard Shed for BX Tractor #71  
Thanks for the response, Rooster. Your stonework is impressive; are you a mason?

No, I am an engineer with OCD! :laughing:

The work you see above is about 25% my labor and 50% my vision; the remaining part is the output of an old Irish mason (he's about 70) and two young guys who do the digging, lifting, cutting, and placing.

There are two essential elements when hardscaping your property with stone:

1) Too much is too much. This is very important. Keep the types and sizes and shapes and sources of the stone to a minimum. You have probably seen or been to a property where it looked like the landscaper/owner went to the stone yard and said, "i'll have some of that, and some of this, and some of that over there, and a couple of these, several of those round things, many of these square things, and few tons of that, etc etc etc". That will not work out well. White river rock and gray slate and bluestone and crushed red pebbles do not all coexist in nature together. You can't put tigers and gazelles in the same cage at the zoo -- so don't try to do it with stone either. Pick a theme, and stick with it. If you are going to use colored concrete pavers, no problem. Just don't pile all sorts of natural stone next to it, and vice versa. Hardscape should not look like you went to a quarry and got a little of everything. Settle on what you want to do and stick to the plan. Keep it simple, simple is good.

2) Go with the flow. Don't fight what's there. Look around first. Natural setting? Old house? Pick natural, uncut stone, random shapes, and build it up to look like it was there when the house was built. Contemporary setting? New house? Pick geometric (cut) stone, lower profile shapes, and match the look and feel of the house/environment. Example: You can't put polished black slate up against a old farmhouse; it will never work.

ps
This is no different than building the shed in the first place. Look around before swinging the hammer. If the nearby house has a steep pitched roofline with minimal soffit overhang, then build the shed the same way. Tie it all together. My pics above are an example of "shed overkill", I am well aware of that. But the basic geometry and "fit" with the surroundings and house are not accidental. You can do a similar setup with less expense but the end result can be exactly the same -- it works for what you need it for and doesn't look out of place.

I know this is sounding "zen" and all but I see a lot of cases where the same amount of money results in something that looks awkward IN THE ENVIRONMENT IT'S PLACED IN. A perfectly good shop design simply doesn't work aesthetically in some applications; for some, that is not an issue, but for permanent structures I would advise that you put a little thought in up front because either a) you will live with the results for a long time, or b) you will want to get your money back on resale of the property.

ps
Before I forget, put the largest doors you can on a shop. It just makes things so much easier. Roll door, garage door, carriage doors, sliding doors -- it doesn't matter how you do it, just make the opening large. Very large. As large as you can go. Every door type will come with tradeoffs (e.g. my swing-out carriage doors are a PITA in the winter when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground...) but the message here is to make the door opening large!

wrooster

/ Backyard Shed for BX Tractor #73  
Not sure you were asking about my building but if you were I had it built by some Mennonites. There were 3 to five that showed up for two very short days and one long day. I provided the 36" front door and they provided all other materials. $8300 with a 9' high roll up door instead of 7' and 10' ceilings and a bit extra for the best primed painted metal with the extended warranty. They showed up first evening with mini walk behind skid steer and within 30 minutes had the 17 PT 4"x4"s holes dug and standing in the holes. The next day they had the lower /strappingframing, trusses, roof strapping, roof metal and some lower metal installed. Third day they finished the project in a few hours and the the garage door two guys showed up and installed the garage door. I usually build everything myself but age, weight and shoulder keeps me on the sidelines now. I built my original 12'x20' two story tractor building 12 years ago when I bought my first tractor, a BX2200 and learned about changing the door height. :D My wife now gets my old tractor building because this one can hold all my Kubotas plus generator and compressor and much more "stuff".

John, Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about adding another building in the spring, not sure what type yet. My attached garage is full, my 2-story garage and a half is full, I either got to get rid of stuff or build more shelter.......

Wrooster, Nice work - everything looks great, first class all the way. I did a fair share of stonecutting this past summer so I know what it takes to do what you did. One project involved re-purposing a few hundred Belgian block edgers into a walkway from the drive to the patio.

There are twenty 80 lb retaining wall blocks buried under the 3/4" stone on the right side to keep the cobblestones in place. The cobblestones are 4" thick - too thick and hard for my 10" diamond saw, I wound up scoring them an inch deep, then used splitting chisels to cleave them through. I then hammered the sharp edges to make them look worn. I used a flexible sealer grout made for wider gaps between the stones.
IMG_0523.JPG

/ Backyard Shed for BX Tractor #74  
wrooster, thanks for sharing the pix and info about your shed build. Impressive! I've been considering something similar and my wife has been steadily opposed to a shed for a tractor she's already a little jealous of :) However, after showing her your building, she's now starting to see things a bit more clearly. Thanks!

You've got a beautiful place and I appreciate that you improve it while maintaining its integrity. Man, it must be nice having that level lot! If I build, it will probably have to be sunk into a hillside.