B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #1  

Sniggle

Silver Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota B7800 (new to me @ 435 hours
The muffler sits up on an exhaust pipe that ties into the exhaust manifold. There is virtually no support for the muffler, so the joint where the exhaust riser is welded into the muffler takes all the vibration. Well, after 800 hours the metal alongside the weld in the muffler failed.

Had my local welder put it back together and add 2 supports as seen in the 1st photo. Why they did not do this at the factory is beyond me....it would have added a couple of dollars at most to the cost.
IMG-2868.jpg
IMG-2866.jpg

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #3  
Thank you for the heads up and the photos.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #4  
It lasted 800 hours on a model that is 15-20 years old. Hard to call that a flaw at this point. Could be done better for sure but you’re way past the point where this would escalate.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #5  
My 7800 is coming up on 800 hours. Maybe I should check it.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #6  
There used to be a school of manufacturing that believed that the path to success was in taking a basically good design and improving it through the years. In the best of those machine designs, many improvements were deliberately made to be retrofittable onto older models.

But that type of manufacturing requires a committment to a product that isn't as popular today.

rScotty

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #7  
I checked my 7800 today and there is a substantial weld on the connection. No problem here.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #8  
Good welds don't break. They are automatically stress-relieved. Usually the base metal cracks next to the weld.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw
I checked my 7800 today and there is a substantial weld on the connection. No problem here.
If you look at my picture, it was not the weld that failed...it was the metal near the weld.

The good news is that the muffler is easy to remove, and my welder only charged $32 to reweld the muffler and add the 2 braces. If you have welding skills might be worth it to pop the muffler out and add bracing.

/ B7800 - Annoying engineering flaw #10  
This thread reminds me of the D905 air filter bracket.