AZ ranch

/ AZ ranch #1,361  
I would pound rebar in the holes and fill with concrete. I have seen it down before and the guy backfilled before putting floor joists (a basement) across it. It bowed 1/2 inch.
hugs, Brandi

/ AZ ranch
#1,362  
Something happens when retaining walls are more then 4ft tall. The amount of pressure on them increases to a point of needing some engineering. Less then 4ft, and it's all easy pleasy.

The two biggest issues are water and water freezing. If you can drain the water away from the side of the bock, you will eliminate all of your potential issues. Adding a deadman, or anchor, or some sort of reinforcing structure to the wall will help, but there is a limit to what it will do when fighting water, and water that freezes.

How much rain do you get in the worse case scenario?

Does it freeze there when the ground is saturated?
I can throw in some perforated pipe before I backfill, making some French drains.
And I could put in a couple anchors.
We’re getting some heavy rain right now. A few inches this week.

/ AZ ranch
#1,363  
I would pound rebar in the holes and fill with concrete. I have seen it down before and the guy backfilled before putting floor joists (a basement) across it. It bowed 1/2 inch.
hugs, Brandi
Yea, I figured I better fill the block.

/ AZ ranch
#1,364  
Is the soil expansive like the Texas Clay? If so, then I'd say for sure, but other than that, it is hard to tell for sure. If you do it right, you can do the same sort of thing on the outside to brace it, but getting it tied in properly so it works will be the key. (Not a soils engineer but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once...)
Yes, a lot of expansive clay.

/ AZ ranch #1,365  
Oooo. You might want to talk to an engineer on this one. Eddie is right that up to 4' they typically let anyone do what they want, but over that it often requires engineering. He is also right on water management.

You will definitely want footer drains, and then lay landscape fabric over the dirt from the footing on up and fill with 3/4" washed free-flowing rock for drainage. Then wrap the filter fabric over the top of the rock to the wall and add a few inches of dirt to plant grass, etc. This allows water to get down to the footer drain and then out to daylight somewhere (plan for that) plus any water in the rock has tons of space to expand as it freezes so it cannot push on your wall.

/ AZ ranch #1,367  
Mr. Fuller, it has been a while since your posting about the new garden building.
with the weather that is mentioned of rain snow and miserable conditions to work outside how is it coming?
Notice the drought in California is gone and the rivers again flowing thinking the mud in Seligman is deep.
Remember driving to a microwave site there and crossing a small shallow creek became stuck. Pick up the front end sank into the mud took a winch cable and tied it to a large tree and tried to pull my way across it. the sinking continued until the truck bed was at water level and called a fellow worker living .near Kingman Arix. before the interstate. took over 2 hours for him to arrive and by now the bed was filling with mud. He tied his truck to another tree and winched cable to the rear bumper to pull the truck backward and I loosened the fan belt to keep from splashing water over the engine, using my winch and his winch to pull the truck backward to higher ground. after the truck was towed to the plant we used a fire hose to wash the mud from under the truck . Never again trusted a creek to be shallow and could get across.
Then a couple of months later spent 3 days trying to get him off Mount Hualalpai. walking out with snow shoes he kept falling into the top of the trees. after this, he and I requested transfers to Phoenix and I went to New Mex. Life is too short to be working with these conditions.
Trust health and family are doing good.
Myself have been taking treatment for cancer and all of last year was nothing done around the place. maybe can get the strength back to clear the fence row of saplings and fix
fences. se'ya ken

/ AZ ranch
#1,368  
Yes the weather put the kibosh on everything. The dirt walls have caved in on top of my forms and it will be a ton of work to dig everything out when weather permits.
Since Jan 1 we have received 57 inches of snow. More than the last several years combined.
I have been concentrating my efforts on fixing up our mobile home in Phoenix - new carpeting, new laminate floors. Selling stuff, giving stuff away, throwing stuff away. Too much stuff!
Getting ready to sell it.
‘Good to hear from you and we’re praying that your recovery improves.

/ AZ ranch #1,369  
Thanks for the update. I would of never of believed that you would get so much snow where you live!!!!

/ AZ ranch #1,370  
Good to hear from you guys again. Near record snow here too. We are somewhere around 81-82" for the season so far Minneapolis/St Paul. They keep saying if we hit 85", it becomes a top 5. Right now we are around #7-8 I guess. I'm pretty sure we will hit top 5 but no way we will make #1 unless a couple more massive dumps happen as I think it is over 100" for the record. At least the sun angle is now high enough that it has a real impact on melting this down some. It was getting ridiculous on where to pile it all for a while...