Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
No claims for originality here. I have seen others do it but I decided to 'do it my way'. The thought was it would be a nice simple project to execute. Turned out there were little procurement bumps in the road that kept pushing back the finish date.

So the plan was to utilize a 200mm linear actuator (just about 8"). I measured the min and max distances between the pivot bolts and the were almost dead nuts 200mm.
First thing was to make a sketch of what I wanted to accomplish:

sketch of automation.JPG

I used 1-1/4" OD aluminum tube with 1/4" wall thickness. At the bolt ends I drilled 20mm + holes to accommodate sleeves made from 20mm OD, 14mm ID. The original 12mm bolts were replaced with longer 60mm ones. They go through the sleeves. The sleeves are ~ 1-3/8" long (1/8" longer than the tube diameter). When the bolts are tightened the sleeves are fixed and the 1-1/4 tube can rotate freely as required as the release arms move.

The ends of the actuators were slightly larger than the ID of the 1-1/4 tube so I drilled that out as required. Believe me, I'm no machinist.

Here are the bits and pieces:
parts.jpg

To control it I used a DPDT, center off, rocker switch. It provides the reversing of polarity of the 12 volts to the motor. I mounted it in the unused slot next to the range selector on my L3800. I just wanted it out of the way - no accidental 'oops'.
Additionally I mounted a very bright multicolor led on the dash to indicate when the actuator is energized (red for open, blue for closed). An ice cube sized electronic flasher was also added to make sure it was noticed. The wiring diagram is below. The led section is enclosed in dotted lines and is unnecessary for operation. All you need is the switch. There was change in the choice of led so a 30 ohm 10 watt dropping resistor is not shown - it is inserted between the led and the flasher. The panel light I was going to use was set up for 12 volt operation.
For previous projects I had installed a 6 position fuse block on the left rear fender. It's switched on with the key. That is where I obtained the 12 volts. My testing of the actuator indicated it draws about 1 amp. I used a 5 amp fuse.
wiring diagram_small.jpg

The last thing I'm waiting for is some retractable cable to help keep the wiring neat and out of the 'danger zone' on the left fel arm. It does work. Time will tell for how long :) Here is my 1st mounting test pic. I ended up reversing it to get the wire close to left side.

mounted 1.jpg

And a short Youtube of it finished: Demo of SSQA automation

It was a fun project and if need be the entire assembly can be removed in 3 minutes by unbolting 2 bolts, detach 2 spade fittings and then putting back the bolts with the sleeves (or find the original bolts).

Last edited:
   / Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #2  
I think you’ll need a lot stronger actuator. Those levers can be nearly impossible to move at times especially without frequent greasing.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #3  
Looks good! What actuator and the led did you buy? I like the idea of the LED. Thinking of doing this for my L2501.

Bill

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA)
This is the actuator I went with: 330lb actuator I could not stall it with all my weight (195lb)

Here is the led: 9 watt led - NOTE these leds should have a heat sink. Each color is rated ~ 3w and draw 700ma at full rate. I used a 30 ohm dropping resistor to reduce the current to 300ma - approx 1watt. The flasher has a 50% duty cycle so the leds are only dissipating 1/2watt - 1/6 of their rating. I did not use a heatsink - time will tell. . .

4570man - you may be right but 330 lbs of force is a lot of force. Even with the different moment arm, when you close or open the levers manually, that would be the equivalent of well over 100lbs of force. I do grease the pins pretty much every time the loader is done.

For me it was a fun project. Didn't cost very much and I learned a little something.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #5  
Thanks for the reply! Something I might get to this winter hopefully!

Bill

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #6  

Yes the cheap weak actuator will work, barely. Think mine was probably the 330lbs one. But it was 5+ years ago I'm I'm to lazy to read my old thread. The 100lbs & 330lbs actuators are the same, just geared slightly differently. Same amp draw, one is just slower & stronger.

I ended up upgrading from the $40 cheap slow ones to a $150 actuator. Notacibly faster, stronger & higher amp draw.

I have all the hydraulic parts but hoses to do that on my new L4060hstc, but haven't ever gotten around to it. They are handy, but apparently not quite handy enough to float to the top of my To Do list these days.

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #8  
What did you use for that cylinder? Is it something you made up or bought as an option?

Bill

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #9  
What did you use for that cylinder? Is it something you made up or bought as an option?

Bill
I used a 1x8 cylinder and lengthened it, the guard was added to protect the rod. You can kind of see the cylinder retracted without the guard and paint.
789311840.jpg

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Automating the Quick Attach (SSQA) #10  
I have a similar small 1" cylinder I found for cheap somewhere, if/when I get to the project. You want as small of a cylinder as possible, or to run a pressure relief valve. A 1" diameter cylinder has an area of a little under 1 square inch. 1 square inch times 2,500psi is 2,500lbs. Thats enough to mangle things well if anything jams or isn't aligned. If 300lbs works, almost 10x than can mess stuff up. A bigger heavier cylinder will also eat up precious loader lift capacity.