ATV tires on a Zero Turn?

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #1  

Notforhire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L47TLB
I just replaced my old rigid frame Ferris 1000Z with a new Ferris 2200, 52 inch deck.

I like the mower I hate the Carlisle turf tires it came with. Traction is terrible, I leave skid marks just slowing down!

Because of the 52 inch deck they mount narrower tires than those on a 61. The factory tire is 24x9.5x12
I'm thinking about going to a more aggressive tread ATV tire in a 24x10x12 which is a more popular size.

I had chevron style tires on my old machine and had less turf damage than I'm getting with my present turf (friendly?) tires.
My biggest problem is sliding sideways on loose grass clippings/hard ground, and no it's not a steep slope 5-10 deg.

Does anyone have experience with ATV tires on ZT's? Do you have any recommendations?

Help me please before I slide into the pond!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn?
I noticed in the comments section of that video someone pointed out that those tires are only rated for 265 lbs.
The machine weighs 1319 lbs plus me (225)

I don't know if that is typical for all ATV tires????

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #4  
at what psi though? lots of atv tires are rated at a very low psi.

i would not worry about that part much, as you are going much slower on a mower.

I put atv tires on my last garden tractor and it made a huge difference in traction and did less damage to the turf. it just depends on if you can find them in a size that will work.

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #5  
I've been using "ATV" tires (or bar tires) on my zero turn for 3 years. I've never got stuck in slightly damp water like I did with the turf tires. In really dry conditions the turf tires probably tear up the yard less than bar tires but I live out in the country.

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #6  
at what psi though? lots of atv tires are rated at a very low psi.

i would not worry about that part much, as you are going much slower on a mower.

I put atv tires on my last garden tractor and it made a huge difference in traction and did less damage to the turf. it just depends on if you can find them in a size that will work.
Those are 2-ply tires! Those wouldn't last a week around here. And there's HUGE difference between a garden tractor and a ZTR. My Bad Boy came with high traction tires. It took me a couple of mows to get used to the "improved traction" to keep from tearing up the lawn--What little lawn I have. :rolleyes:

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #8  
Those are 2-ply tires! Those wouldn't last a week around here. And there's HUGE difference between a garden tractor and a ZTR. My Bad Boy came with high traction tires. It took me a couple of mows to get used to the "improved traction" to keep from tearing up the lawn--What little lawn I have. :rolleyes:

not that much difference, my GT was about 1k lbs and hydro have had several of both GT and ZTR. ATV tires work great on all of them. you can find ATV tires rated prober weight. i think the ones i used were 6 ply. current ZT has a size not readily available in atv tires, so I have turfs on it.

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #9  
There are lots of threads on here about different tires on zero turns. Carlisle has a new one out that I have been using for the last 2 years and have been VERY happy on slopes (almost no side-slip at all but still gentle on turf):

Goodyear makes a version now too:

/ ATV tires on a Zero Turn? #10  
Put these on the Ryobi ZT480e. LOTS better traction than stock turfs. However, they can really gough if you're not careful, particularly going downhill and turning.

Much much safer to use than the turfs.

Attachments

• New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (1).jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 169
  • New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (3).jpg
    New Tires on ZT 5 May 2022 (3).jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 166