At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #171  
I was about to admire your tool storage system but then I took a closer look... :LOL:
Actually The little bags are to fill up and take on the job LOL :) I have a rolling tool box by Ridged
1633884231199.png
That works rather well . I'll take a better picture When I get home ! I thought you would comment on my Dirty Carpet ha ha ...

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #172  
I had the top section of the Ridged system in my truck . Works out very nice 👍

Attachments

• A6D6E4D5-8C05-4A65-AFE1-A9A238737D29.jpeg
    A6D6E4D5-8C05-4A65-AFE1-A9A238737D29.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 9C3F98B9-B002-4217-B853-5E25DCCCB10F.jpeg
    9C3F98B9-B002-4217-B853-5E25DCCCB10F.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 66
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #173  
I have a corded Milwaukee Hole Hog. I load my generator on the ATV along with the Hole Hog when I need to do heavy drilling out & about on the property. It's another one of my tools that I have great respect for. I've been "thrown" a few times while drilling deep holes with a ship's auger.
I've known a guy that broke his wrist with one!
So in my Hole Hog I keep a length of water pipe for a handle.

Earlier I mentioned that I'm a tool junky, well my Hog set me back all of $25.00 at a pawn shop because the chuck was defective.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #174  
It boils down to "disposable income"..
Start yourself a "list" on the frig.. figure out what u NEED & what u can get away with..
IF these NEW tools are MAKING U MONEY & will pay for themselves by getting done faster & moving to the next MONEY MAKER.. by all means get it..
If its a novelty & will sit in the garage for a YEAR or 2.. U probably don't need it..??
U ever consider RENTING the tool.??
It boils down to "disposable income"

I my house it boils down to if Momma will allow me to buy said tool!! LOL :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #175  
I was about to admire your tool storage system but then I took a closer look... :LOL:
Ha... I was fooled too until your post. Good idea documenting for insurance reasons. I should go through and do the same with my shop.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #176  
I did mechanic work for a side job, and when I hired on with a machine shop, part of the condition was I didn't need my tools. Third time I needed to borrow a screwdriver, somebody told me I needed to get my own tools. I went straight to the boss and he gave me a pretty good tool allowance to buy off the tool trucks that came by. I ended up with a second roll around tool box at home when I left. Then my brother passed, and my mechanic tools doubled. Then my Wife's cousins Dad passed, who owned a transmission and rear end shop for tractor trailers. I helped the cousin with dropping a widow-maker dead pine (real dead!!) and when we got ready to leave, he told me to load his dads two rollarounds with top and side boxes up. I thought he wanted me to haul them to his house, but he said they were mine for all the help. That almost doubled my mechanic's tools again, but on a larger scale because of all the bigger tools.
I have a LOT of mechanics tools and they probably aren't worth even a small percentage of what they cost!
David from jax

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #177  
Its quite simple really-just don't judge me :) It could be worse, I could be a gambler, sex, alcohol, drug addict or even a smoker. Im also a gadget nerd...I need help but one thing is for sure-if something breaks, or needs fix and even needs to be remodeled-I have the tool for it. If I dont I will either go to Lowes, HD, Amazon or Harbor Freight.

Who else in their right mind will buy a $2,000 M12 Milwaukee Propress just to replace the bathroom vanity? Me that's who, and I'm not apologizing to anybody accept to say-sorry you cant borrow my tools.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #178  
I'm really struggling with the decision to upgrade my cordless Ryobi tools to Dewalt 20v. The Ryobis served me well for the house I just built, but are starting to wear down. I'm building another house starting next week, and I have put together a pretty sweet Dewalt set that I would like. That way I could keep the Ryobi set at home for use there on the weekends, and use the Dewalt on the job site during the week. Maybe Amazon will have Dewalt discounts for Prime Day tomorrow.
Ryobi really is a decent tool manufacturer and they are improving every year. I am a Milwaukee fan and heavy user but even some of the Milwaukee tools are over priced junk just like the Dewalt and Rigid. I can just imagine all the Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools I have being junk in 5-10 years as well.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #179  
It boils down to "disposable income"..
Start yourself a "list" on the frig.. figure out what u NEED & what u can get away with..
IF these NEW tools are MAKING U MONEY & will pay for themselves by getting done faster & moving to the next MONEY MAKER.. by all means get it..
If its a novelty & will sit in the garage for a YEAR or 2.. U probably don't need it..??
U ever consider RENTING the tool.??
Sometimes it’s even cheaper to buy at HF than renting. The HF stuff aren’t tools that a professional would use daily, but many of them work well for occasional use.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #180  
Ryobi really is a decent tool manufacturer and they are improving every year. I am a Milwaukee fan and heavy user but even some of the Milwaukee tools are over priced junk just like the Dewalt and Rigid. I can just imagine all the Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools I have being junk in 5-10 years as well.

I hear you. We have a full set of Milwaukee M28 battery powered tools. They definitely are NOT junk - they are some of the finest tools every made... every one is a treasure. There is just no comparison between the M28's smooth drill motor and chuck and the M18 drill.

Maybe that's why Milwaukee keeps reducing their support. The batteries do wear out in time & are becoming expensive and harder to find. Sometimes older is better.... almost.
rScotty