At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
So the title pretty much sums this one up. Examples. I was driving precut rebar grade stakes and due to rock probably half of them needed to be cut shorter. I didn’t have any bolt cutters so I used a sawzall. That one is an easy choice I’ll be getting some bolt cutters before the next rebar cutting project. Next tool need. I have an upcoming plumbing job with lots of holes to drill. I already have a Dewalt equivalent of a Holehawg but ditching the cord would be really nice. At close to a $400 investment I’ll probably hold off on that. Next desire I already have a top quality jigsaw but it also has a cord. I really want a cordless one but the Dewalt XR base tool one is close to $200. I could think of plenty more but that’s some of my more immediate wants-needs.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #2  
I don't think I'd even try to cut rebar with bolt cutters. Recip saw is my choice there. There's another thread about switching to battery tools and why people did or didn't make that choice.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
A beefy pair of bolt cutters should handle 1/2” rebar and there’s no reason I couldn’t switch to 3/8” rebar. The sawzall got the job done but with a lot to do it takes forever and eats blades. I’ve also got a cordless grinder but the sawzall works better and the battery holds out better with it. I’m not ready to give up my gasoline equipment. This was about construction tools. For most tools there’s no question about performance it’s solely about cost. I have little doubt the Dewalt 60 volt rafter drill would get the job done more conveniently than my current corded version. A cordless jigsaw would have saved me a lot of work doing hardwood floor but I’m done with that project for the foreseeable future.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #4  
I used to constantly struggle and fight doing jobs with the wrong tools. In the last few years I've tried to get away from that practice. If I don't have the right tools for a job, I'll wait until I do to start it. If I'm in the middle of a job and realize I don't have a tool that I need I just go buy it and get it over with. It really makes it so much less dreadful knowing you have what you need the next time you have to do that job.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #5  
It boils down to "disposable income"..
Start yourself a "list" on the frig.. figure out what u NEED & what u can get away with..
IF these NEW tools are MAKING U MONEY & will pay for themselves by getting done faster & moving to the next MONEY MAKER.. by all means get it..
If its a novelty & will sit in the garage for a YEAR or 2.. U probably don't need it..??
U ever consider RENTING the tool.??

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #6  
I'm pretty basic. I have several sizes of hammers. There is usually the correct size to solve the problem.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #7  
I once justified a brand new router, table, and bits to build a small wooden stand. The tools cost 5 times what the materials did, but the wife likes the stand and I got new tools out of the deal!

I also agree with post #4. The problem with that though, is I've been saving up outdoor projects for years. Now that I finally have a tractor with backhoe and such, there just aren't enough hours in the day to DO all the projects! :laughing:

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #8  
I'm pretty basic. I have several sizes of hammers. There is usually the correct size to solve the problem.

A case of ".....every problem looks like a nail."

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #9  
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #10  
I am trying to get rid of tools no longer used. Not one of the workers of this generation wants any tool that isn't battary operated and if good tool and battery is bad they toss also.
Skill type saws, recip saws, jig saws routers and table saws, radio arm saw. They have not learned how to use and don't care to learn.
I set on side of yard so can be seem by passing drivers and a sign FREE then in evening pick back up and put in trailer for the junk yard.
tractor parts same Just wonder in 10 more years what this country will be like. with no one knowing anything except the little hand phone is busted also.

ken