At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #21  
I like corded tools, batteries burn out, can't do the job unless you buy the largest batteries you can, if you can afford them, and for home use, the batteries are never charged enough so you have to start the project by charging batteries.
I guess that isn't too bad, it can delay the project. just sit down... right... not me, I want to do it now !

I still have some of my original corded tools I used to built my first house, 40 years ago.
Buy the best you can afford, and a corded tool should last a lifetime for home and shop use.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #22  
I like corded tools, batteries burn out, can't do the job unless you buy the largest batteries you can, if you can afford them, and for home use, the batteries are never charged enough so you have to start the project by charging batteries.
I guess that isn't too bad, it can delay the project. just sit down... right... not me, I want to do it now !

I still have some of my original corded tools I used to built my first house, 40 years ago.
Buy the best you can afford, and a corded tool should last a lifetime for home and shop use.

Cordless tool technology has come a long way since it was first introduced. Yeah the original battery powered tools (and the batteries that powered them) were pretty crappy. However, I've owned a 20V Dewalt cordless drill for 6 or 7 years now that has never let me down. Sure there are some jobs it can't handle, but those are few and far between. For those rare jobs (usually masonry or high-torque related) I'll pull out one of the bigger corded drills. But for 98% of the stuff I need a drill for I'll grab the cordless. Drilling wood, plastic, steel, etc up to 1" diameter holes. Running in screws. Mixing paint. Etc.

The batteries last a good long time these days and the motors are stronger and more efficient too. I'm still on my original 2 batteries that came with the drill kit years ago. They key is to have 2 batteries. That way, while you're using one, you can be charging the other and you never have down time. My batteries will hold a charge for months of inactivity without use (although that rarely happens around my place) and last a fairly long time under use as well.

Don't get me wrong, corded tools can definitely offer more bang for the buck, but as reliable as cordless tool tech has become, for me it's a no brainer. I'll choose grab and go over wrangling extension cords most any day. That being said, I wouldn't give up my corded tools either. :)

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #23  
My philosophy is that if I can get a tool to do a project and the cost comes in below the cost of having someone else do the thing, and I'll likely use the tool again (for "free" after the first time), I'll buy it.

Occasionally the purchase is more justified in that I can do a job in smaller increments on my own schedule... like buying my tractor - now I can (and do) a couple hours here, ten minutes there, a day there - the payoff is more likely to be over a number of years, but there's an added benefit that my body takes a lot less punishment and I get a lot more done than I would by opening the wallet for other people to do work for me.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
Corded tools still have a place but for handheld they’re mostly obsolete in the professionals lineup. Dealing with cords is a big waste of time. That’s assuming you even have access to power. Generators and good cords aren’t cheap either. Cordless tools now vs 40 years ago is a crazy comparison. Even now vs 5 years ago there’s a big difference.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #25  
I'm not convinced on battery life. OK, so you can get two hours or so out of a charge, but for how long? A year? Two? Less? If you have to replace a $50 or higher battery every year or so, are you still better off?

In three years, I've had to have four Ryobi 18V batteries replaced under their warranty. Since most batteries come from just a few factories, with the brand and package they're in make any difference?

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #26  
I have 6 cordless drill/driver/impact drivers that I try to keep charged, one is over 15 years old and still works fine although one battery only last a short time. I cant remember the last time I pulled out my 120v 1/2" drill, likely the last time I had to drill a large hole. I dont own any battery powered grinders although I could see how that would be handy for offsite cutting (like rebar).
Other than drills, all my shop tools are either 120v or pneumatic. I dont mind pulling out my retractable air hose or retractable 120v power cord to run them. Doing offsite work hauling a generator around to power my 120v tools or run an air compressor might be a little too much trouble. I haven't had to do any work away from my shop ever that was not done with socket wrenches (like when I busted the line to my HST filter on a brush pile).
I wont ever go to a battery powered weed eater or even 120v. Last weed eating I did took 2.5 tanks of gas in my Stihl weedeater. I dont think any battery powered machine would have handled the knee high pond grass that I was cutting.

Battery power has it's place but I dont think weedeaters, grinders, chainsaws and other high power requirement stuff is where it is at unless you live in a California sized residential place with a 100 sq. ft lawn that you can trim with just a battery powered weedeater and the largest limb you will be cutting is 1.5" in diameter.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
I’m not convinced they’re the all same. I have several aftermarket batteries and I think they’re inferior. But they cost half as much. My experience is battery’s last more than a year but even if they didn’t how much is the cost of a battery compared to the inconvenience of dragging a cord around? And again that depends on the availability of even having a place to plug your cord in. Cordless tools are the best thing since sliced bread. It would cost me several hours a week without them. I’m not ready to give up combustion engines yet but cords in handheld tools are a thing of the past.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #28  
I'm not convinced on battery life. OK, so you can get two hours or so out of a charge, but for how long? A year? Two? Less? If you have to replace a $50 or higher battery every year or so, are you still better off?

In three years, I've had to have four Ryobi 18V batteries replaced under their warranty. Since most batteries come from just a few factories, with the brand and package they're in make any difference?

I don't know if brand makes a difference. I've only ever had Dewalt and Kobalt cordless stuff. None of the batteries I've had have lost much "longevity-per-charge" over their lives (Dewalt batteries are 6-7yrs old). They might be SLIGHTLY worse now than when new, but they've held up surprisingly well. Like I said, I can fully charge one from dead in less time than it takes to drain another (even with heavy use). So I'm happy. If that ever becomes not the case, then it's either time to replace the existing batteries, or add a third into the rotation. Can't speak for other brands though.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #29  
So the title pretty much sums this one up. Examples. I was driving precut rebar grade stakes and due to rock probably half of them needed to be cut shorter. I didn稚 have any bolt cutters so I used a sawzall. That one is an easy choice I値l be getting some bolt cutters before the next rebar cutting project. Next tool need. I have an upcoming plumbing job with lots of holes to drill. I already have a Dewalt equivalent of a Holehawg but ditching the cord would be really nice. At close to a $400 investment I値l probably hold off on that. Next desire I already have a top quality jigsaw but it also has a cord. I really want a cordless one but the Dewalt XR base tool one is close to $200. I could think of plenty more but that痴 some of my more immediate wants-needs.

My immediate reply to this would be, "Can you afford the tool needed? And can you do the job safely and correctly with what you have?" If the answer" No I cant afford it but can get by with what I have then" likely you should not buy. But if you will be needing the tool repetively, then let your budget bite the dust and buy it.
I have never had much issue with budget when it came to buying tools so I have a lot of them I haven't used in years, but they are there if I might require them.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #30  
I have bought a lot of tools that paid for themselves with what i made with them.. Pretty much every tool i own, including a backhoe.