At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #161  
Me too... both cars sit outside our two 'car' garage. :confused2:

LOL, but mine is less than 2 car as city would not permit larger due to septic field.
Since I always planned it to be a shop I never had a vehicle in there.

When I applied for the permit stating a shop they denied me so I had to install a garage door to make it look legit. (door is sealed and insulated from within)

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #162  
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav
I have an infrared thermometer and it’s useful for all kinds of things like checking for a dragging brake, hot hubs, figuring out which cylinder is missing on an engine, checking a grill temperature, checking the wood stove temperature. I paid more than $16 for mine but it’s a useful tool.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #164  
I have an infrared thermometer and it’s useful for all kinds of things like checking for a dragging brake, hot hubs, figuring out which cylinder is missing on an engine, checking a grill temperature, checking the wood stove temperature. I paid more than $16 for mine but it’s a useful tool.
:thumbsup: Yeah, once you have one, you find all kinds of reasons to use it.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #165  
When I told her I needed some parts to fix my old chain saw, she wouldn't let go until I bought a new one. That's why I have two good working chain saws.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #166  
Emmm...when the existing tools can't help me anymore. Either I take new projects. or my tools are broken. You know, even with the best maintenance, some tools have a deadline. But I try to be sustainable and don't spend too much on that. I use forums or some special platforms like cherokeeobserver.org for trade-in programs. Sometimes I get the chance for a tools exchange. Other times, I sell mines and purchase others (also second hand). This way to manage to avoid over consumption, which is great for your budget and environment.

Last edited:
   / At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #167  
I tend to replace tools (especially air tools) when something comes along that is reasonably priced and exceeds the performance of what I already have. Cas in point, I just ordered an Astro pneumatic 1/2" drive Thor impact wrench from Summit Racing to replace my IR Thundergun. Nothing wrong with the Thundergun, in fact I'll sell it on CL or Facebook Marketplace but the Thor delivers substantially more torque (1000 foot pounds breakaway) 925 foot pounds tightening torque that the Thundergun at 625 breakaway and 500 tightening in basically the same size package and like the IR, the Thor is made right here in the USA.

Intertestingly, the Thor is priced about the same as the Thundergun at $180.00 delivered. IR makes darn good air tools, I cannot fault them at all but I want more power (torque) in a small handheld unit.

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #168  
Paying someone to fix or build something was expensive. So I bought tools ! Now it seems time is money so I’m back paying people to do things . How many use to work on there truck and now take it in ? How many use to take the washer and dryer apart but now call the repair guy lol 😂. I roofed my house Twenty five years ago . Took me two weeks. Now I called in a six man crew and done in two days . I have a ton of tools in three locations just don’t have enough time to use them
32F903BE-5091-4159-9BCF-37AD2CDCC713.jpeg

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #169  
I buy a new tool when having it enables me to do a job myself for around the same total cost as hiring someone else to do it - even if it is a job I'll only do once.

The upsides are several. I get to do the job and with the proper tools....which I always enjoy. And I learn about a new tool and the techniques in case I ever do that job again. Plus the biggie: nobody does better quality work than a craftsman doing work for himself. So I get the best quality job.

The downside is that I tend to have a growing number of tools that need to be stored and some need basic maintenance, which uses up precious space and time.

rScotty

/ At what point do you justify buying more tools vs making do with what you already hav #170  
Paying someone to fix or build something was expensive. So I bought tools ! Now it seems time is money so I’m back paying people to do things . How many use to work on there truck and now take it in ? How many use to take the washer and dryer apart but now call the repair guy lol 😂. I roofed my house Twenty five years ago . Took me two weeks. Now I called in a six man crew and done in two days . I have a ton of tools in three locations just don’t have enough time to use them View attachment 716415
I was about to admire your tool storage system but then I took a closer look... :LOL: