Are prices like this everywhere?

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #191  
interest only loans with variable interest.
Welcome to foreclosure land.

Just paid 3.91 for mid grade at the pump. cheapest in the area :-(

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #192  
   / Are prices like this everywhere? #193  
Not exactly. Diesel electric locomotives only use batteries for starting the prime mover (diesel), that turns an alternator (or in some cases a DC generator) that powers the traction motors. Batteries have nothing to do with other than starting the engine. With a hybrid, an internal combustion engine also powers a generator-alternator that keeps the batteries charged and the batteries provide current to the drive motors.
Of all the "established" standard products out there, IMO diesel-electric locomotives are one of the most logical to transition to a hybrid platform....

1) Some of the key design concerns/limitations with drivetrain batteries in other platforms almost go away (bulk, weight)...... opening the door to selecting large amounts of battery storage, and possibly chemistries that aren't as practical in other applications.

2) The drivetrain is already in place, and so is/was a lot of the major electrical power switching........ IIRC, "Old school" diesel-electric Locos had huge power resistors and fans in their roofs, to deal with dissipating the back-emf created from the electric braking function.

So yes, the added drivetrain storage batteries would have to be appropriately selected and charge controlled, but compared to standard buses, trucks etc, DE locomotives are 80%+ a hybrid platform already......

Rgds, D.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #194  
Adjustable rate mortgages (ARM's) will be the death of anyone today that buys a new home or a pre owned one. Between that and credit card debt (not being able to pay the balance monthly and incurring interest charges will literally eat up people's liquid income.

Everything is just peachy according the media though.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #195  
Of all the "established" standard products out there, IMO diesel-electric locomotives are one of the most logical to transition to a hybrid platform....

1) Some of the key design concerns/limitations with drivetrain batteries in other platforms almost go away (bulk, weight)...... opening the door to selecting large amounts of battery storage, and possibly chemistries that aren't as practical in other applications.

2) The drivetrain is already in place, and so is/was a lot of the major electrical power switching........ IIRC, "Old school" diesel-electric Locos had huge power resistors and fans in their roofs, to deal with dissipating the back-emf created from the electric braking function.

So yes, the added drivetrain storage batteries would have to be appropriately selected and charge controlled, but compared to standard buses, trucks etc, DE locomotives are 80%+ a hybrid platform already......

Rgds, D.
Whatever you say.. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #196  
Adjustable rate mortgages (ARM's) will be the death of anyone today that buys a new home or a pre owned one. Between that and credit card debt (not being able to pay the balance monthly and incurring interest charges will literally eat up people's liquid income.

Everything is just peachy according the media though.
Are there companies still pushing variable rate mortgages???

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #197  
I had a bank here in the states that did that. They transferred money out of my checking account. But couldn't provide information on where it went and by whom.

Met with the bank manager. Come to find out it was a couple employees. Instead of refunding me all the money plus overdraft fees, they just refunded the money and part of the over draft fees.

Manager stated he would slowly refund the charges over a period since he would be dinged if he did them all at once. Me being young and naive, I went along with it. Well two weeks later the bank was bought out and manager told me to kiss off.

I got stuck on that one with very little recourse.

If that ever happens again, you bet your butt there will be police reports and charges filed and heads rolling.
Just like no charge lifetime checking…

Through every manager change for 25 years I continued it… even tracked down the former manager…

But let it go when move to credit union free checking…

/ Are prices like this everywhere? #198