Anyone start plants indoors

/ Anyone start plants indoors #1  

David Wayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I am this year, I bought a fish tank and made a lid from pexiglass to use as a greenhouse. My melons and cucumbers are growing way tall 5-6" and not vineing out. They are falling over from their own weight. Can anyone tell me why?
Thanks
David

/ Anyone start plants indoors #2  
They are light starved. Move your lights closer to the tops of the plants, no more than 2 inches away.

/ Anyone start plants indoors #3  
I second that.If you can't put more lights on top, put them on the outside.You will need at least two on top minimum.The best is two on top and one on each side.

/ Anyone start plants indoors
Thanks, I dont have any grow lights I guess I better get some. I just have the plants in a south window.

/ Anyone start plants indoors #5  
I planted some seeds last weekend in cups so that I can plant the seedlings in the garden in mid April. It has been warm out this week so I left the trays on the south side of the house to get some sun. It will also be pretty warm in that spot as well. The roof overhand is 32ish inches and protects the plants from most rain.

If you do put the plants outside, keep and eye on their watering needs. That sun can dry them out ASAP.

The high temp today will be in the 80s which should give those seeds a jump start.

Later,
Dan

/ Anyone start plants indoors #6  
I no longer start things like melons, cucumbers, zucchinis, the larger seed plants, inside. I just plant them in the garden in May, and I end up with vegetables pretty much the same time. Some plants just don’t transplant well, and I’m not that good at “hardening” the plants. I have a feeling you may wish you didn’t start those so early. I never put the garden in before Mothers Day, and usually after. Any earlier than that and those types of plants are going to be stunted because of the cold nights, cool days. By then, they may be taking over your house. :D I do start peppers and tomato varieties that I can’t find locally. Common varieties I just buy already started at local nurseries.

/ Anyone start plants indoors #7  
I am this year, I bought a fish tank and made a lid from pexiglass to use as a greenhouse. My melons and cucumbers are growing way tall 5-6" and not vineing out. They are falling over from their own weight. Can anyone tell me why?
Thanks
David

My wife had the same problem so I put a small fan on them .. It seemed to work..:D