Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #11  
Here is one reference to the Ferguson System. There are many, many more if anyone wants to do a search. The Ferguson System

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #12  
JerryG, I was always under the impression that the "Ferguson System" was the original 3pt hitch as used on the TO20, adopted (some would say later stolen) by Ford.

The Ferguson System, in its concept, also included what we now call "draft control" whereby the depth of the implement is regulated by the amount of drag on the implement such that it can be essentially maintained at a fixed depth. For example when using a moldboard plow and desiring a depth of 10" the depth is capable of being maintained for the entire row plowed. Integral to the concept of the Ferguson system was the switch from a drawbar pull to the 3pt pull, you can't have the draft control without the development of the 3pt hitch arrangement.

Am I wrong? Or is there a NEW "Ferguson system" or is there some additional information I don't know about?

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #13  
Draft was only part of the development of the Ferguson System. The entire system was referred to as the Ferguson System. Because of the way tractors usage has changed since then, position control was added or some variation there of, but The Ferguson System is what we all still use. If we didn't we might all be using the International quick hitch. The Ferguson System is the three point hitch.

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #14  
So pardon my continued questions, but I really don't quite understand what TractorTodd is referring to?

A 3pt hitch, with, or without draft control, is the Ferguson System. If it is a 3pt system, does it really matter if it has and external lift cylinder? A 3pt is a 3pt, or am I missing something else?

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #15  
That was my take also. That is why I ask, <font color="blue">Just exactly what do you think the Ferguson system is? </font> above.

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #16  
Boy am I getting an education. Kubota, John Deere, and all other makes have the Ferguson system? Did I drive a model T to work today?

The following statement is from the link on my previous post.

The compression force exerted through a spring in the top link also acts on the built-in hydraulic system to govern soil depth of the implement automatically(draft control). Manual changes in depth are made by the Finger Tip Control Lever within easy reach of the driver's seat.

The Ferguson system utilizes the top link to control draft.

The Massey Ferguson 3060 utilizes sensing pins in the lower links for draft control. Not the toplink. Not the Ferguson system.

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #17  
<font color="blue"> Kubota, John Deere, and all other makes have the Ferguson system? </font>
In one word, Yes.
The draft portion was only a single part of the Ferguson System.

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #18  
This is from the link that I posted above, if anyone didn't have a chance to go to the link to read it.
<font color="blue"> Harry Ferguson started in the tractor business selling Waterloo Boy tractors (renamed Overtime) in Ireland and England during World War I. While working with farmers to maximize the use of their new tractors, Ferguson began working on a better system to attach implements. His "Ferguson System", later known as the three-point hitch, would become the standard for attaching implements to farm tractors. </font>

/ Anyone here give comments on 461 or 471 MF tractor #20  
Jerry, you and Todd might want to read this. It appears to me as if the 3-point hitch was in 1919 (maybe called the "Ferguson System" or maybe called the "Ferguson Linkage"), then the Draft Control came in 1925 or 1926, "The Ferguson System of Implement Linkage and Hydraulic" from Todd's link, so maybe we don't have a problem with anyone being right or wrong, but only have the same problem with terminology that we have with Bush Hog, brush hog, rotary cutter, shredder, slasher, etc. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif