Anyone go back to a flip phone?

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #71  
Even video games can help build social skills and aid in brain development.
Not sure I agree with that. Younger people today seem to lack social skills because they mostly interact thru "devices" as opposed to face-to-face. A lady I know from work commented once about how her teenage daughter and her friends will converse via text messages even if they're in the same room. Kinda creepy if you asked me.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #72  
I would think that in a state as sparsely populated as Nevada coverage would be a problem, especially once you get away from the interstate.
You are so correct. But even along I-80 there are dead spots. So because there are so few landlines also there are large parts of the state where satellite is the only communication form. I carry a GPS with InReach satellite communications built in because of that. And yes, in rural Nevada Verizon has by far the best coverage.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #73  
in the next few months, I will be upgrading from the old style samsung flip phone (fits in my pocket, keeps my hands free to carry cane, groceries etc) to the new Samsung Android Z Flip 5 smartphone.
1705343581519.png
current phone,1 yr old, still available

1705343640615.png
anticipated new phone

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #74  
I need a flip phone so that it fits in my pocket ... if I had to actually carry a smart phone or have it attached to my belt / hip, I would be destroying that phone every week when I fall down. I need my hands to be free, more than I need a cell phone.

I only need it for calls (incoming, outgoing) not for data, apps, texting ... but a better camera (the Z 5) will be nice. I'm looking forward to easier texting with the keyboard, but will probably get an actual plan, that offers voice to text options.

I have a prepaid plan $112 / yr and that's about all I need ... but that plan is very limited and no long distance.
The Koodo plan for $25 / mo is more expensive, but still affordable, and much more convenient.

Last edited:
   / Anyone go back to a flip phone? #75  
I keep my cell phone in my right front pocket with the screen facing my body. It's in an Otterbox. It has never gotten damaged. I have no problems removing it from my pocket. My wallet is bigger than my cell phone.

So why do people keep cell phones clipped on their belt? It would just get caught on things and be in the way. Kinda like open carry. ;)

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #76  
Not sure I agree with that. Younger people today seem to lack social skills because they mostly interact thru "devices" as opposed to face-to-face. A lady I know from work commented once about how her teenage daughter and her friends will converse via text messages even if they're in the same room. Kinda creepy if you asked me.

If you are active in the lives of young people, I respect your opinion. If you are communicating via text right now (exactly what we do on this forum) and ruminating about “the younger generation” without actually participating in their lives, you are a typical “adult”.

I interact through texting with 15 different people, age 14-25, many my own children but not all. We send memes, jokes etc….occasionally I get to have deep conversations about real important life issues. I would never be able to have that without the seemingly senseless random conversations.

I game occasionally with several more that are under 14, and I really do not like to game, but it helps the relationship-not often, but I am usually willing when the opportunity presents.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone?
If you are active in the lives of young people, I respect your opinion. If you are communicating via text right now (exactly what we do on this forum) and ruminating about “the younger generation” without actually participating in their lives, you are a typical “adult”.

I interact through texting with 15 different people, age 14-25, many my own children but not all. We send memes, jokes etc….occasionally I get to have deep conversations about real important life issues. I would never be able to have that without the seemingly senseless random conversations.

I game occasionally with several more that are under 14, and I really do not like to game, but it helps the relationship-not often, but I am usually willing when the opportunity presents.
I think you are correct. The continual dribble of conversation builds a relationship and trust that would take years to develop otherwise.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #78  
I only need it for calls (incoming, outgoing) not for data, apps, texting ... but a better camera (the Z 5) will be nice. I'm looking forward to easier texting with the keyboard, but will probably get an actual plan, that offers voice to text options.

I have a prepaid plan $112 / yr and that's about all I need ... but that plan is very limited and no long distance.
I've never left, having a flip phone. I don't text, I don't FB, Twit to whatever the hell that is. Texting is like "management by interruption". Texting is why the younger generations don't have any in-person social skills. Never look you in the eye, always have their heads buried in their phones. Have no idea how to have a real live conversation.

If you want a nice cell phone plan, check out Page Plus. I've used them for 10(?) years now. They have a plan for just about anybody, including smart phone guys. But if you just want minutes for phone calls, they are the best I've found. I pay $40/year.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #79  
My first dumb phone was 1998 and my first smart phone was 2013, except for the first couple I've always had a holster on my belt. From my experience, don't buy any holsters on a swivel or with a nylon belt strap, get one with a riveted leather strap. I can see the cell tower from the house.

I still have a landline that is free, only problem is that I can't call outside of the county, because it's a restricted line. I also still get a phone book for my county and a few other nearby counties.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #80  
I admittedly have not read the entire thread, but will say this...I have never had anything but a flip phone; it says "Hello and Goodbye", and that's all I use it for...to talk. I turn it off when I get home and put it in a drawer.

The only time I feel like an outsider is when I go to the doctor and everyone else is sitting there with their heads in their phones pecking away.