Anyone go back to a flip phone?

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #61  
Maybe where you live, but we still get a phone book in the mail every year. Not sure who publishes it anymore.
I wish there was such a thing as a phone directory that had personal phone #s in it like the old days. If you don't know someone's cell # AFAIK there's no way to look it up.

The only grandparent I ever knew was my father's father. Paternal grandmother died when I was a toddler, never met either of my mother's parents.
As hard of a guy as my father was to get to know, he was an open book compared to my grandfather. It didn't help that he spoke very little English (despite having immigrated in the early 19-teens), my Russian wasn't much better. Fortunately, my father was a solid guy.

I grew up thinking old people didn't speak English. Much of my grandparents' generation in our town were immigrants...there was enough of a community where they could get by with the old language. It wasn't until I was almost a teenager and met one of my friends' grandparents I discovered otherwise. :eek:
We also get something that is called a phone book annually. But many of the businesses are lacking because the listings aren’t free and many don’t pay because they know that few people use the books nowadays.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #62  
So people can't control themselves with a modern smartphone? Sad really. Just delete all of the apps, keep messaging and phone only.
I tried to do that on an Iphone 5S and couldn't figure it out. Some apps just wouldn't disappear.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #63  
Nope. I love having a smart phone. I use it too much in my daily life. I'm not dependent on it, but it is nice to have. You control the technology, don't let it control you.
I don't know how to prevent it from up-dating and have to spend the better part of an hour figuring out how to use it again. I only wish I was able to control it.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #64  
I don't know how to prevent it from up-dating and have to spend the better part of an hour figuring out how to use it again. I only wish I was able to control it.
That is exactly why I switched from Android to Apple.

Last edited:
   / Anyone go back to a flip phone? #65  
What Farcebook is for. My wife has it. I don't and don't want it either

Facebook is great for staying in touch with family. Do you stay connected with family another way?

A lot of people seem to complain about the younger generation and are completely oblivious to the fact that older people should be mentoring them.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #66  
Gen X or "geriatric" Millennial?

Much of the criticism aimed at our generation comes from the same folks who raised us; all they have to do is look in the mirror to understand why we are the way we are.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #67  
I've spent the last 32 years as a clinical social worker working with kids and adolescents. My advice to any parent is keep your kids away from screens as long as possible. Smartphones have the same impact on the brain as cocaine.(Giving your child a smartphone is like giving them a gram of cocaine, says top addiction expert).
Personally I find my iphone extremely handy especially when I'm in my workshop needing to order a part or watch YouTube to understand how to repair something. Everything in moderation.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #68  
I've spent the last 32 years as a clinical social worker working with kids and adolescents. My advice to any parent is keep your kids away from screens as long as possible. Smartphones have the same impact on the brain as cocaine.(Giving your child a smartphone is like giving them a gram of cocaine, says top addiction expert).
Personally I find my iphone extremely handy especially when I'm in my workshop needing to order a part or watch YouTube to understand how to repair something. Everything in moderation.

Parental involvement is key no matter. Limiting screen time is important, so parents need to be present in their lives. Screen time is like cocaine? You mean it brings them pleasure? Well that can be useful I think. With kids we have to think in terms beyond “I need to keep them from this or that”.

Even video games can help build social skills and aid in brain development.

Leaving kids alone without mentoring them is the problem. Not being present in their lives is a problem.

I have to force myself to listen to stories about Fortnight in order to participate in the life of a 13 year old boy. I do have a Fortnight overload point and let him know we have to talk about something else.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #69  
Especially when traveling around Nevada as there are so few towns that are spaced 100 or more miles apart and there are no more pay phones anywhere. So whatever you do you have to get needed information via your smartphone.
I would think that in a state as sparsely populated as Nevada coverage would be a problem, especially once you get away from the interstate.

/ Anyone go back to a flip phone? #70  
I would think that in a state as sparsely populated as Nevada coverage would be a problem, especially once you get away from the interstate.
Much of the west has spotty coverage once you’ve away from the towns and interstates. In my area, Verizon has the best rural coverage. I’m sure this varies throughout the country.