Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #871  
Took the dogs out for their late pee walk last night. 28 degrees and there was a moth flying. I would have said that was impossible. That little bug must have quite the metabolism.

The Annas are wintering fine here. We have several.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #872  
This morning. I keep a couple of tomato towers up all winter, their favorite spot to guard the feeders from
Hummingbird.jpg
Hummingbird2.jpg

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #873  
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #874  
Is that a ruby? If I recall, they can take below freezing temps and go into a stupor (correct spelling?) while doing that.
No, it is an Annas. We do not see Ruby Hummingbirds out here.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #875  
Good on you... I have abandoned my feeders. You are making me feel guilty.
Okay, the cold snap is over, go ahead and call your kids back. They are eating me out of house and home :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. There are often 4 to 5 birds fighting over the feeders, almost like spring. Seriously, I must be the only one around that put up heated feeders.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #876  
You have heated feeders? I want to see a pic of that!

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #877  
Actually, No. Most of them know the words by now...

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #879  
You have heated feeders? I want to see a pic of that!
The plastic feeders I bought use a 15 (or 7-1/2-watt) incandescent night light bulb, but I modified how my feeders attach. I have two, one US made, one China. The China one was total junk, I ended up even replacing the cord and socket. The US one was good, but it had 3 attachment "hooks" and my feeders do not have anywhere to hook onto other than the roosts which would make it hard for the birds to sit on. Plus I have 5 roosts, so it was always off center. I used the stretchy cord that came with the feeder (long rubber bands work as well), cut and tied them to the right length. I added picture frame hooks to attach the cords to. The bulb clips in and out from the bottom, so you can leave it outside when you are refilling.
Feeder.jpg
Feeder2.jpg

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #880  
I noticed an uptick in the little guy's consumption lately from winter so I am increasing the amount I put in the feeders to compensate. Refilling every 3 days now.

An Annas male buzzed me today showing off his red throat feathers brilliantly. Travelers from down south should be around soon.