Anybody need a new circular saw?

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
My 40 year old Skil saw was finally showing its age recently, after many years of use in my dad's homebuilding business and at least 15 years of my projects. Had been dropped many times, brake was gone, cord been sawed/repaired over and over, and finally, the bearings were really noisy and getting worn. So I started shopping around for saws, knowing an older saw would be hard to beat -- 40+ years ago, Skil was "the" name in circular saws (hence the reason you hear so many old timers call them "skil saws" instead of "circular saws").

After a bit of research, I honed in on the DeWalt DWE575SB. Retail price is $150, Amazon price is $129. Lowes recently dropped their price to $129:

Shop DEWALT 15-Amp 7-1/4-in Magnesium Corded Circular Saw with Brake at Lowes.com

and you can get a Lowes coupon for $20 off $100 online orders here:

Lowe's $20 Discount Promo Code

That drops the net price to $109. Coupons are good for another 10 days or so. You can place an online order for free store pickup.

I have been using the saw quite a bit for a week while doing some framing and siding work, and it's been outstanding. It's noticeably smaller and easier to handle compared to my old saw, and cuts better. Has metal parts where needed, like adjustment levers for blade depth, angle, etc, and well made. If you need a new saw, this seems to be a great buy on a higher-end model. It's been a worthy replacement for my 40 year old Skil.

IMG_7211.jpg

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #2  
So far, the best circle saw I've bought (by far) is a Bosch...

standard.jpg

Among other things, I've built numerous bldings with it, used it for a LONG time to edge flitches off my sawmill ect. ect... It's been used and abused to the max, but of course, it wasn't cheep and they don't offer the exact model any longer.

As a side note, last year my wife bought me a 20V lith ion Dewalt circle saw, and it's been VERY good, cutting much better than I expected... I really like it.

SR

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #3  
<snip>
As a side note, last year my wife bought me a 20V lith ion Dewalt circle saw, and it's been VERY good, cutting much better than I expected... I really like it.

SR
I've got one and REALLY like it.
Had to pick up some floor molding. Carried the DeWalt 20vMax. Was able to trim the stuff down to fit in the car without waiting half an hour for the Lowes employee to trim them down.

When I have to trim something in the shop I can grab it and not worry about plugging it in.

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #4  
My 40 year old Skil saw was finally showing its age recently, after many years of use in my dad's homebuilding business and at least 15 years of my projects. Had been dropped many times, brake was gone, cord been sawed/repaired over and over, and finally, the bearings were really noisy and getting worn. So I started shopping around for saws, knowing an older saw would be hard to beat -- 40+ years ago, Skil was "the" name in circular saws (hence the reason you hear so many old timers call them "skil saws" instead of "circular saws").

After a bit of research, I honed in on the DeWalt DWE575SB. Retail price is $150, Amazon price is $129. Lowes recently dropped their price to $129:

Shop DEWALT 15-Amp 7-1/4-in Magnesium Corded Circular Saw with Brake at Lowes.com

and you can get a Lowes coupon for $20 off $100 online orders here:

Lowe's $20 Discount Promo Code

That drops the net price to $109. Coupons are good for another 10 days or so. You can place an online order for free store pickup.

I have been using the saw quite a bit for a week while doing some framing and siding work, and it's been outstanding. It's noticeably smaller and easier to handle compared to my old saw, and cuts better. Has metal parts where needed, like adjustment levers for blade depth, angle, etc, and well made. If you need a new saw, this seems to be a great buy on a higher-end model. It's been a worthy replacement for my 40 year old Skil.

View attachment 470291

Cool...always like a good tool recommendation!

What others did you compare it too?

Did you look at the latest Skill Magnesium Sidewinders? $99 at HD right now. No blade brake though. Supposedly they upped the game on the latest circular saws and trying to regain the professional market. They say you can use it for 6 months and if you don't like you can return it

SKILSAW SIDEWINDER SPT67WM-22 7-1/4” Direct Drive Circular Saw Tool Box Buzz

I'm figuring my old corded Makita 5007NB AC/DC will outlast me, though I wouldn't mind having a new 7 1/4 Fuel cordless sometime.

Carried the DeWalt 20vMax. Was able to trim the stuff down to fit in the car without waiting half an hour for the Lowes employee to trim them down

I do the same thing often with my Makita 6 1/2 cordless when I don't have a truck or work van available but only my SUV and it make more economical sense for me to buy longer lengths to get the various cuts I need. Love those small cordless circular saws. :D

/ Anybody need a new circular saw?
Cool...always like a good tool recommendation!

What others did you compare it too?

Did you look at the latest Skill Magnesium Sidewinders? $99 at HD right now. No blade brake though. Supposedly they upped the game on the latest circular saws and trying to regain the professional market. They say you can use it for 6 months and if you don't like you can return it

I briefly looked at that Skil at HD and it seemed well built, but was not as comfortable to handle as the DeWalt and as you note, no brake (which I didn't care about or miss until it crapped out on my old Skil). The DeWalt feels very compact for some reason I can't explain.

The other saw that I gave serious consideration to in this price range was the Bosch CS10, but when I looked at it, the plastic adjustment levers turned me off. They may be OK, but I preferred the idea of metal levers, as these saws take a beating in my experience.

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #6  
I briefly looked at that Skil at HD and it seemed well built, but was not as comfortable to handle as the DeWalt and as you note, no brake (which I didn't care about or miss until it crapped out on my old Skil). The DeWalt feels very compact for some reason I can't explain.

The other saw that I gave serious consideration to in this price range was the Bosch CS10, but when I looked at it, the plastic adjustment levers turned me off. They may be OK, but I preferred the idea of metal levers, as these saws take a beating in my experience.
I've owned the Bosch CS20 for years and love it other than it is a little on the heavy side. I liked the idea of "bring your own cord" (it uses a standard extension cord that plugs into the handle...don't have to worry about cord storage issues and if I were somehow to cut it I have plenty of others). The plastic levers are actually nylon. I wouldn't worry about them.

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #7  
I have owned my Craftsman for many, many years. It just keeps working.

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #9  
Best saw I have bought is a Skil Wormdrive. Works great.

Shop Skil 15-Amp 7-1/4-in Worm Drive Corded Circular Saw at Lowes.com

Yep I have one of those two. My dad got it back in the 70's and it still works great.

My dad was/is a General Contractor and I remember a very gifted and skilled carpenter that work for him say...he noticed carpenters west of the Mississippi mostly used worm drive saws and carpenters east of the Mississippi used the non worm drive saws. He said the tract framers in California would run a new guy off if he showed up with a non worm drive saw.

/ Anybody need a new circular saw? #10  
maxresdefault.jpg

A picture of the beauty...