any toro groundsmaster fans on here?

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #991  
Here is the top half from the operators manual:https://www.toro.com/getpub/15753
30719 top.JPG

Last edited:
   / any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #992  
A noise was heard and ignored. The noise went away when the machine quit moving.

The rag joint on the hydro drive shaft went bad and it cut a hash in the hydrostat filter.

Do you suppose there is any possibility I can get by with changing fluid and filter?

Any idea what it takes to change the hydrostat unit out? How much disassembley is necessary?

Do I need to tear the whole machine apart or would that just be easier and faster in the long run?

I'm not in very good condition right now. Doubt I can find anyone to hire for the job.

Toro Model 30223 Serial 6000 to 6999

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #993  
A noise was heard and ignored. The noise went away when the machine quit moving.

The rag joint on the hydro drive shaft went bad and it cut a hash in the hydrostat filter.

Do you suppose there is any possibility I can get by with changing fluid and filter?

Any idea what it takes to change the hydrostat unit out? How much disassembley is necessary?

Do I need to tear the whole machine apart or would that just be easier and faster in the long run?

I'm not in very good condition right now. Doubt I can find anyone to hire for the job.

Toro Model 30223 Serial 6000 to 6999

I hit a stump with mine last week and lost all the fluid at once. I put a new filter on and filled it back up and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure how long you ran yours with low fluid but with any luck you can put a new filter on and refill. You have nothing to lose by trying at this point. Good Luck :)

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #994  
I hit a stump with mine last week and lost all the fluid at once. I put a new filter on and filled it back up and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure how long you ran yours with low fluid but with any luck you can put a new filter on and refill. You have nothing to lose by trying at this point. Good Luck :)
What happened to make you lose the fluid when you hit the stump?

I also have no idea exactly what happened. Your post gives me hope.
I checked the hydro fluid and it was good on the stick with the machine not running.

Part of my worry is - Where did the filter shrapnel go when the rag joint cut the filter open?

A friend? Has been egging me to get a new machine. We like the Toro's and I'd hate to have something like this happen to an expensive machine

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #995  
What happened to make you lose the fluid when you hit the stump?

I also have no idea exactly what happened. Your post gives me hope.
I checked the hydro fluid and it was good on the stick with the machine not running.

Part of my worry is - Where did the filter shrapnel go when the rag joint cut the filter open?

A friend? Has been egging me to get a new machine. We like the Toro's and I'd hate to have something like this happen to an expensive machine
Well it was pretty stupid on my part, I had raised the deck to cut the weeds around the stump and got the deck caught on it, in the process of trying to get unstuck the back wheels came off the ground and when they came back down the filter landed on the stump and crushed it. thankfully it didn't break anything but the filter! If you're really worried about shrapnel I would suggest you drain all the fluid and start with fresh oil. I know you said you weren't in great health, but I think it would be worth it to drain it. I have four groundmasters, two that I mow with every week, one I use for pulling stuff around and the fourth for parts. They are great mowers and I will use them till I can't mow no more! lol

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #996  
Hi there, trying to replace the PTO belt on my 322D my parts manual called for a 53-9660 belt, I found a replacement at my auto parts store, it's a Gates 6539BR installed it yesterday and it immediately burned up! tried another one from nappa same number, hoped that it would be different. still feels very tight so looking for suggestions of what I might be doing wrong before i ruin another belt. HELP please

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #997  
PTO is installed!

Had to slit the old bellcrank lever to get it off.

New bellcrank going on.

PTO is back in the machine. Had to have my Brother come over to help me install it. It is definitely a two man job. Seems to be much tighter with no sloppiness, so hopefully that issue is taken care of.
Hi Asymir...I am trying to replace my PTO belt and there is not enough of a gap between the belt pully and part of engine. WHAT TO DO?? Do I have to remove the pto shaft or is there a way to move it towards the front on maxhine? I need a good 1/2"- 3/4" gap but currently have about 1/4". If I could move the engine back id be fine...lol. I'm reading here that there's a way to adjust the pully forward and back for proper alingment. My alignment seems ok.

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #998  
Hi there, trying to replace the PTO belt on my 322D my parts manual called for a 53-9660 belt, I found a replacement at my auto parts store, it's a Gates 6539BR installed it yesterday and it immediately burned up! tried another one from nappa same number, hoped that it would be different. still feels very tight so looking for suggestions of what I might be doing wrong before i ruin another belt. HELP please
Do You know about the spring tensioner under the PTO handle? It's a bit awkward to get to. The service manual tells you the compression length that the spring should be adjusted to. Yours may have been adjusted for a loose belt and needs to be reset...loosened. OR.... You may have the wrong belt. I read there is a similar belt that has a difference of 1/2". If you have the smaller belt and the spring tensioner is let out all the way and it's still burning then it may be too small. One more thing...if the pulley on the PTO isn't lined up correctly with the engine pully...this will shred the belt.
Let me know what you find out.
I'm in the process of changing belts too but I can't get it off. There's not enough gap between the pto pully and engine.

/ any toro groundsmaster fans on here? #999  
Do You know about the spring tensioner under the PTO handle? It's a bit awkward to get to. The service manual tells you the compression length that the spring should be adjusted to. Yours may have been adjusted for a loose belt and needs to be reset...loosened. OR.... You may have the wrong belt. I read there is a similar belt that has a difference of 1/2". If you have the smaller belt and the spring tensioner is let out all the way and it's still burning then it may be too small. One more thing...if the pulley on the PTO isn't lined up correctly with the engine pully...this will shred the belt.
Let me know what you find out.
I'm in the process of changing belts too but I can't get it off. There's not enough gap between the pto pully and engine.
I spoke with him, what happened was he had the belt on top of the metal belt retention finger. Very easy to do on these machines.