Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight?

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #31  
I just looked at the top of the page.

It says "FORUMS"

It doesn't say "RESEARCH LIBRARY"

:)

Bruce
I see I'm on the same page. :thumbsup:

Now getting back on the subject of this forum topic, I too am in need of a substantial rear counter weight when doing heavy work with my FEL and am convinced to build a form and use concrete. And take into consideration some of the new ideas helpful contributors have come up with. ;)

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #32  
That's very nice. Could you make another one and bring it to Utah? I'd barbecue ya a steak! :licking: Seriously, I'll be making something very similar this summer.
might just work something out. :)

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #33  
There are so many different designs people have come up with its amazing, ones with basic handle storage like mine, to ones with storage for tool , saws, chains , ect. I built mine with square corners, some have done rounded or angled as to keep them from chipping off if they get bumped into something. WITHOUT getting into the whole you just need to search B.S. If I'm thinking of doing a project like this, I will usually do a google image search and get all types of ideas on a project ( I too will get on here and ask for ideas also), then I may take several ideas that I like and combine them into one design that fits my needs. Another thing you may consider doing is placing the form on a trailer , heavy enough to hold the weight after it's been filled with concrete, and talk to a local concrete supplier about bringing it to there plant for filling.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #34  
Would someone please take the time to explain to a newbie why (other than perhaps cost), you'd even consider a 3Pt counter weight over either rear wheel weights or loaded tires?

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #35  
Would someone please take the time to explain to a newbie why (other than perhaps cost), you'd even consider a 3Pt counter weight over either rear wheel weights or loaded tires?

From my understanding, both are needed. I had filled tires on an MX5100 and that was not enough to weight. The tractor could easily lift more with the loader making the rear end light. I usually left my boxblade which was 550# on the back when I was doing loader work, and I still had to be aware of how light the rear ended was.

HP

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #36  

'cuz you can take it on and off pretty easily in about a minute.

FWIW, I'm in the act of building one right now. Just waiting for the weather to warm before I start mixing the 'crete. I used an old Carry All that I had no other use for. It has a 2" receiver hitch in it ($30 from farm supply). It will weigh in around 1000#. Could have thrown in a bunch of lead wheel weights if I had wanted to, but concrete will get it done for me.

Here is my thread on this topic http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...8-planning-custom-ballast-box.html?highlight=

View attachment 501935

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #37  
For me I have loaded tires, and don't want the extra weight on the tractor all the time for other things I do. Also the weight on the 3pt has a leverage affect to help " counter balance " the load being lifted by the loader, helping release some of the weight off he front axle yet still helping hold the rear down.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #38  
I'd second the post above, and add;
A proportion of the owners on here, will use their tractor for mowing, and would need to shed some tractor weight to keep compaction/turf damage to a minimum, therefore a ballast that's quick to remove is a good solution. Also some smaller small tractors have quite small rear tyres in relation to FEL capacity, so having both forms of ballast will lead to extra stability.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #39  
Tire weights or ballast aren't a counterweight. They do nothing to lighten the front axle load. In fact, it only has the potential to increase the load on the front.

Both are nice for ultimate stability and traction. But if you can only pick one for fel work, counterweight on the 3ph is the smarter pick

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #40  
How does a counterweight on the 3 pt not lessen the load on the front axel? Being behind the rear wheels, it has to lighten the front end. If you could put enough weight there, you could take the front end right off the ground. No?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Pallet of (11) Assorted Come-a-Longs (A33349)
Pallet of (11)...
Case IH Puma 165 (A33526)
Case IH Puma 165...
LANDPRIDE FINISHING MOWER (A32908)
LANDPRIDE...
2014 Peterbilt 320 Scorpion Side Loader Garbage Truck (A32932)
2014 Peterbilt 320...
J STYLE CONCRETE FEED BUNK (A32908)
J STYLE CONCRETE...
2005 EZ-GO TXT GAS (A33544)
2005 EZ-GO TXT GAS...