Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight?

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
Like many of us here, I'm guilty of using the FEL on my tractor without the proper rear counterweight. I do a lot of work in the woods where clearance and maneuverability are a concern. Using a BH, mower, brush hog or other implement as a counterweight is often not practical. When working with a grapple, I'll use a 3 pt to QA adapter to put the FEL bucket on the 3 pt hitch. Filled with gravel, I can get close to 2000# on the rear if necessary. This keeps the weight fairly close to the rear wheels, is considerably smaller than most implements and works well in tight places. Obviously, this doesn't work when I need the to use the FEL with bucket attached.

I've seen 55 gallon drums filled with concrete, iron platforms with stacked cinder blocks, even old engine blocks used as counterweights. I suppose I could shop out a used FEL bucket but I was hoping some of the creative folks here could suggest something fairly compact that I could put together from the scrap pile.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #2  
   / Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #3  
There are some guys that have made a rear three point hitch bracket that they hang front end "suitcase" weights on and they are simple and work great. I don't have a picture at the moment but there isn't much to visualize and any brand of weight will work as long as it will hang on..

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #4  
Buy a cheap tow bar. Build a form around it. Stick some metal with holes in the top into the frame. Then fill it with ready-mix. See my icon. Ror a nice touch put some clevis hooks on before you pour the cement.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #5  
Buy a cheap tow bar. Build a form around it. Stick some metal with holes in the top into the frame. Then fill it with ready-mix. See my icon. For a nice touch put some clevis hooks on top before you pour the cement.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #6  
Buy a cheap tow bar. Build a form around it. Stick some metal with holes in the top into the frame. Then fill it with ready-mix. See my icon. For a nice touch put some clevis hooks on top before you pour the cement.
You can erase those double posts, if you follow the edit prompts at the bottom of the posting.

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #7  
Learning to SEARCH will allow you to access information instantly.

Here are 676 T-B-N threads with the word BALLAST in the TITLE:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2797334

Perhaps 200/676 will be relevant to your information quest.

VOILA!

I am sure that every topic needed has come up at least once before, there really is no need for this discussion board any longer, they can just archive it all. Well there is that other thing.... discussion. Some people just like discussing and it is actually strange that they created discussion/message boards like this just for that purpose.

Increased traffic, increased discussions, more threads, more value.... more money for the company (theoretically).

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #9  
Build a 3pt carry all, load it with drums of sand/gravel or other products. Use the carry all for many other jobs, dual purpose!

/ Any Ideas for a Cheap Compact Rear 3 Pt Counterweight? #10  
Does a heavy 3pt weight box cause any problems with the tractor 3pt hitch? Can the tractor support that weight or is it better to mount it in a way that the weight is not so much borne by the 3pt hitch?

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

H STYLE CONCRETE FEED BUNK (A32908)
H STYLE CONCRETE...
8' Truck Body w/ Tommy Gate (A33544)
8' Truck Body w/...
Hyster D6D Winch (A33041)
Hyster D6D Winch...
Bobcat 48" Heavy Duty Skid Steer Pallet Forks (A32803)
Bobcat 48" Heavy...
TAKEUCHI TB260 MINI X (A32908)
TAKEUCHI TB260...
Sany 36 inch Excavator Bucket (A33113)
Sany 36 inch...