Another Restoration Project

/ Another Restoration Project #1  

aircommuter

Platinum Member
Tractor
case 570lxt, JCB 1550B, Gradall 534c, Hyster C612B,Ford 445A
I haven't had time to be on the forum for a while. My last project was a Ford445A industrial.
I just bought a 1975 Massey Ferguson MF 400 loader/ripper. Not running. I am showing a bunch of before pictures this time. When I did the Ford, people were asking for before pictures and I did not have any.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3063.jpg
    IMG_3063.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_3066.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_3067.jpg
    IMG_3067.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_3036.jpg
    IMG_3036.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 444
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_3038.jpg
    IMG_3038.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3040.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 393
   / Another Restoration Project #2  
Is this a labor of love or do you plan making a profit on the restored machine? I wouldn't have a trailer heavy enough to haul one of those home even if I found a deal.

/ Another Restoration Project #3  
This is going to be a fun project to follow. Do you have a good source for parts? Are they still available from the dealer?

/ Another Restoration Project #4  
This is going to be a fun project to follow. Do you have a good source for parts? Are they still available from the dealer?

That is the BIG question......parts availability!

/ Another Restoration Project
Is this a labor of love or do you plan making a profit on the restored machine? I wouldn't have a trailer heavy enough to haul one of those home even if I found a deal.
I bought it because I can use it around my place and it was just under 10 cents per pound delivered. I sold my Case 855D because it was too valuable to keep here for occasional jobs.
I don't know the whole story behind it. Someone knew about my shop and my past with my grading and underground business. They had some pictures from a site like Facebook, which I don't mess with.
The story is I bought it from a towing company, they were called to haul it from a roadside with the machine as payment. It was on a ranch and one of the family members pulled the injectors and put paper towels in the holes. He didn't get time to put them back right away. The ranch was leased land and the owner passed away. Then the family made him get the machine off the property. He got a trailer (too light) with a gooseneck, and tried to pull it with a 3/4t truck. One transmission later he got it off the property onto the roadside. Short move lot of money.
The under carriage is in very good shape, fairly new chains, sprockets and rollers. They added a piece of bar stock to every other shoe rather than spend $4k for new ones. The gear oil and hydraulic oils look clean. The damage is water in the holes after just using paper towels to plug them and not getting right back to it.

That is the BIG question......parts availability!
Parts for the Perkins 354 engine are readily available. Certain generic type parts, like bearings, seals, starters, alternators, etc. are available too. I am sure I won't wear out the under carriage around here. The under carriage is the same as a couple other crawlers also. If I come to a real parts situation I will make what I have to. Not sure what if any MF has but I have also contacted Landini in Italy as they are still owned by the same company that owns MF today. There are some missing parts like the hood and air cleaner, I can make the hood and I bought an air cleaner assy. from Donaldson. Right now the cylinders are soaking and the oil pan has been draining for a week. Next will be an inspection in each cylinder and the oil pan with my scope camera.
I pulled one belly pan and the snow came. But those are next then scrape and saturate dried oil areas with Diesel then fire up the steam cleaner. It will take several steam clean sessions to get like I want it.
I don't have my truck and trailer any more since I retired in 2005. In crooked CA it wouldn't be allowed today anyway. But I am not planning on moving it. I had a machine that was just under the weight of this one and 2 that were heavier. This one is 25K.

/ Another Restoration Project #7  
What do you like to soak cylinders with when water intrusion/long term condensation is a possability? I have empty 1 gallon motor oil jugs with transmission fluid,acetone and diesel marked "cylinder soak". When spray penatrate/ lubricant loses pressure before empty(happening incrrasingly often),I punch a nail hole and add contents to the jugs. I transfer it to qt bottles with spout to make it eaiser to suqirt where I want it.

What do you like to soak cylinders with when water intrusion/long term condensation is a possability? I have empty 1 gallon motor oil jugs with transmission fluid,acetone and diesel marked "cylinder soak". When spray penatrate/ lubricant loses pressure before empty(happening incrrasingly often),I punch a nail hole and add contents to the jugs. I transfer it to qt bottles with spout to make it eaiser to suqirt where I want it.

In the past I have used Diesel and Marvel oil mix. I have also used Deep Creep by Sea Foam. I have heard of the acetone mix too. I dried the cylinders thoroughly first of course. Even if I decide to put an in frame kit in it I still need to have it free enough to disassemble it. I haven't tried to move it yet, so it may be free anyway. I will connect my oil pressure feed tank up first and get some pressure in the oil system. I will remove the starter and begin by turning with a bar on the ring gear.

/ Another Restoration Project #9  
That's a heck of a good looking machine for that price. I bet you can hit the cyberweb and find the hood. To me a track loader is much more useful than a dozer. I could live 1000 years and never have something like that become available to me. How long were the cylinders open?

I am not sure, the information I got was second hand from the towing company. It is really well made. I went right over to look at it when I got the pictures. I started my business with a backhoe and a track loader (case 750). They are so universal. Especially with the 4 in 1 bucket. Book shows 8150lb lift to full height and 15400lb breakout force.