An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #241  
Your numbers look too low to me for a legitimate professional 200 amp conversion, for a complete job.
Realistically pricing would be about double your numbers

More than double. You also have to run a heavy home run cable from the parking area back to the panel. There’s also a wall charging unit.
I’d guess all that adds another few thousand in todays “best economy ever”.

/ An EV??????` #242  
Over 90% of the recharging will be done at home, with that remaining 10% for people doing long drives. ,

So, set your car to charge from midnight to 6 AM.
You’re assuming everyone has home charging access. That’s a false assumption made frequently on this site. Only 63% of residences have a garage or carport.
Millions live in residences with no off-street parking at all, so home charging is basically impossible. It’s an inconvenient truth for EV proponents.

Everyone should charge their battery car at home from midnight till 6am… when there’s no sunlight and the grid is powered by fossil fuels? Kinda makes it all pointless doesn’t it?

/ An EV??????` #243  
You’re assuming everyone has home charging access. That’s a false assumption made frequently on this site. Only 63% of residences have a garage or carport.
Millions live in residences with no off-street parking at all, so home charging is basically impossible. It’s an inconvenient truth for EV proponents.

I tried, in vain, to explain to all the EV proponents that people living in apartments, condos, most townhouses, rented brownstones, people in small towns have zero access to a charger. They park in lots or out on the street with a permit.

But nobody acknowledges it. This is why ICE vehicles are superior and EV’s are for the rich, affluent class.
ICE allows low-income folks to own their own mode of transportation. Making ICE vehicles illegal starting in 2035 just makes live even tougher for low income people.

But what do I know? I don’t own one, so my opinion means nothing

Everyone should charge their battery car at home from midnight till 6am… when there’s no sunlight and the grid is powered by fossil fuels? Kinda makes it all pointless doesn’t it?

You’d have to build battery electric storage grids that stretch for miles. That would cost trillions, come mostly from China and add environmental hazards equal to the mining and storage of fossil fuels. Then they control the “on/off” switch. With ICE, you can get out and go to a gas station.

/ An EV??????` #244  
More than double. You also have to run a heavy home run cable from the parking area back to the panel. There’s also a wall charging unit.
I’d guess all that adds another few thousand in today’s “best economy ever”.
I was being nice to the previous poster..😃
I see you got a thumbs up from trad…
He’s got most of us blocked. He’s just happy thinking you’re correcting me

/ An EV??????` #245  
Don't generally agree with much that you say but I think you nailed it with this. The True Believers here seem to think that EVs are the greatest thing since sliced cheese and anyone who doesn't buy the hype is a hater.

The same fanboys seem to be under the illusion there's a super charger on every corner too. Dunno about where they live but AFAIK the nearest one to me is an hour and a half away. If there's one closer I've yet to see it.
I'm not saying that there aren't some drivers for whom an EV is a good choice, but it's not for everyone any more than any other type of vehicle is right for everyone.

Isn't New Hampshire about 30 miles across and 100 miles (north-south)? 🤣

A quick search of Tesla Superchargers in New Hampshire shows quite a few.

I do agree that EV's aren't for everyone. If I couldn't charge at home I wouldn't own one. Defeats the purpose of cheap fuel (.13 cents/kWh) vs about .40 cents/kWh at a supercharger.

/ An EV??????` #246  
China and add environmental hazards equal to the mining and storage of fossil fuels. Then they control the “on/off” switch. With ICE, you can get out and go to a gas station.
True. You can still pay cash at a gas station and buy gasoline or diesel at your discretion. Your grid tied electricity use though, is all monitored

/ An EV??????` #247  
I tried, in vain, to explain to all the EV proponents that people living in apartments, condos, most townhouses, rented brownstones, people in small towns have zero access to a charger. They park in lots or out on the street with a permit.

But nobody acknowledges it. This is why ICE vehicles are superior and EV’s are for the rich, affluent class.
ICE allows low-income folks to own their own mode of transportation. Making ICE vehicles illegal starting in 2035 just makes live even tougher for low income people.

But what do I know? I don’t own one, so my opinion means nothing

You’d have to build battery electric storage grids that stretch for miles. That would cost trillions, come mostly from China and add environmental hazards equal to the mining and storage of fossil fuels. Then they control the “on/off” switch. With ICE, you can get out and go to a gas station.

Except for apartments, I've seen condo's, townhouses, with garages which means the ability to charge at home. Living in a small town is irrelevant as long as you can charge at home. If I lived in a Brownstone I would probably just use mass transit.

I don't know who "nobody" is but I've acknowledged the limitations of owning an EV without the ability of charging at home. Probably wouldn't own one at that point.

As I keep repeating ad nauseum, if you did own an EV you would understand the pro's and cons of charging.

Don't let the China boogeyman sway your overall opinion on the usefullness of EV's. The electric grid has more demand during the day than at night because the heaviest usage of electricity are dryers, stoves, and A/C units. So charging at night would not stress the electric grid.

/ An EV??????` #249  
Just plain - NO. Not for me. I have sufficient problems/opportunities around the property here. I do not need to spend a fortune on a vehicle that comes with built in problems.

I have a really sad feeling that this entire EV thing is going to explode - soon.

/ An EV??????` #250  
Lol !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.png
    IMG_1178.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.