An EV??????`

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / An EV??????` #231  
This thinking is still baffling to me.

Do I really need to go buy an EV, trailer it home (since I know it won't make it on its own) just to be able to partake in the discussion?

Yes, it could be used to go to the post office, the nearest voting place, and the gravel pit. And the neighbors, of course. Basically, maybe 50 miles per year.

That'd be a very expensive way to have a voice that's apparently not covered by the First Amendment in your world.
I had the trailer home the 2016 Leaf SL because the closest one I could find that I liked was in St. Louis Missouri which is 200 mi and the battery was compromised. Instead of having the new range of 105 miles it was down to 60 mi or 40 mi on the interstate. Thankfully 5 weeks after getting it it triggered the warranty and Nissan no longer had the 30 KW hour battery and had to replace it with a 40 giving me 150 mi of range. So for $13.5K I had a new like 25K mile EV with a new 202O 40 kWh battery with a heat pump which wasn't a Tesla option when the Leaf was new. The Leaf got totalled eight months after getting the new traction battery.

I was planning to sell it after getting the Tesla in January of 2023 but decided to keep it since the battery is holding up so well and my wife drives it on days that I cannot take her to work.

Round trip to work for her is 30 mi and the 150 mile range is an ideal car for local use. After driving the model Y for 27,000 mi. I'm glad my son talked me into getting it. The artificial intelligent version of FSD that came last week is awesome after using version 11 of FSD for the prior 14 months.

The kids are finishing up college and one will be 8 hours away round trip and the other one 16 hours round trip. So we needed a long distance option and the Tesla does a good job for Cross country trips. The longest trip I've taken so far to Austin, Texas which was about 24 hours round trip. Not having to look for chargers is a big plus when owning a Tesla.

/ An EV??????` #232  
What the wealthy drive is of little consequence to the market.

Seeing a larger proportion of EVs in those areas does not mean much. It also feeds the "toys for the rich" narrative. These are not the folks that keep a vehicle for more than 5 years like most of us do. When the new wears off, they buy the next new toy to feed their egos.
Hey... I was driving a 2011 Corolla... newest car in my fleet.

I still have cars I bought 50 years ago...

/ An EV??????` #234  
This thinking is still baffling to me.

Do I really need to go buy an EV, trailer it home (since I know it won't make it on its own) just to be able to partake in the discussion?

Yes, it could be used to go to the post office, the nearest voting place, and the gravel pit. And the neighbors, of course. Basically, maybe 50 miles per year.

That'd be a very expensive way to have a voice that's apparently not covered by the First Amendment in your world.

When you own an EV you will have the light bulb moments of "Ahhhhh...now I see what they were talking about". ;)

When did I say you are not covered by the 1st amendment?

/ An EV??????` #235  
When you own an EV you will have the light bulb moments of "Ahhhhh...now I see what they were talking about". ;)

Well, I have been told that unless I own an EV I have no idea what they're like, and shouldn't have an opinion about them. Or at least, if do have one I shouldn't post it here.

And while I may be stupid, I'm smart enough to know that an EV wouldn't work for my usage. There's no need to buy one just to prove the obvious. I do know what you're talking about, but that doesn't make an EV any more practical for me.

Sure, I could get one to go to the post office with, but at this point I'm trying to sell off a few vehicles, not buy more.

Ideally I'd like to put some miles on the truly fun-to-drive vehicles I have, instead of buying new tires to replace aged out ones, and putting Star Tron in the tanks because they've been sitting for over six months.

/ An EV??????` #236  

"When you own an EV you will have the light bulb moments of "Ahhhhh...now I see what they were talking about". "
Crack addicts say the same thing, but I'm never going to try it!

/ An EV??????` #238  
Ok, so a number of internet channels have tried to do EV pickup test "experiments".

Rather long winded, but a good comparison between models.

So, gasoline pickups (F150/1500 models) get as low as half the rated MPG when towing heavy bulky loads. And the same goes for the EV pickups.

Ok, a theoretical discussion about pickups, EVs, and towing.

What Semi Trucks have figured out. Reduce gaps and turbulence between the cab and the trailer. Enclosed teardrops?

If an EV pickup is rated for a 300 mile range empty, then half that gives about 150 miles of hard towing.

Likewise, if the EV pickup is rated for 450 miles empty (Chevy Silverado with largest battery), then half that gives about 225 miles of hard towing.

I tow with my flatbed, and RAM 1500. The flatbed isn't light. However, most of my towing will be empty one direction and loaded the other direction. On a good day, I get about 25 MPG with the RAM empty. 20 MPG with the trailer empty, and 13 to 16 MPG with the trailer loaded.

The same thing would surely apply to an EV such as the Silverado EV. 450 miles empty without a trailer. I'd hope to get 350 miles or so with the flatbed empty, and then 200+ miles with it full. So, a trip like today, just shy of 200 miles RT should be well within the range of the Silverado since half the trip was pulling an empty trailer. On the other hand, a trip to Seattle (just shy of 600 miles RT), and I should be able to get to Seattle on a single charge. Then get recharged in Seattle and somewhere around Portland on the return trip.

Now, keep in mind that the EV companies are working on getting rapid charge times down, and one wouldn't necessarily have to do a full charge. 80% or 90%? With some luck, that trip to Seattle would have two half hour rapid charges.

Or... I don't like to do my Seattle trips without stopping somewhere for at least 4 or 5 hours resting. So, I wouldn't need 350 KW charging all the time. A 50 KW charge for about 5 hours would be plenty. If only they put some chargers in rest areas so one could hook up and take a nap. Then again, there is the problem with rest areas never having enough capacity at night for trucks and trailers, and EV charging could be worse.

Last edited:
   / An EV??????` #239  
What is the cost of installing a new 200A service (or larger)?
I'm seeing estimates of $1000 to $2000 or so.
Your numbers look too low to me for a legitimate professional 200 amp conversion, for a complete job.
Realistically pricing would be about double your numbers

/ An EV??????` #240  
Well, I have been told that unless I own an EV I have no idea what they're like, and shouldn't have an opinion about them. Or at least, if do have one I shouldn't post it here.

Sort of like a mini “cancel culture” right here in this thread.
And while I may be stupid, I'm smart enough to know that an EV wouldn't work for my usage. There's no need to buy one just to prove the obvious. I do know what you're talking about, but that doesn't make an EV any more practical for me.

Sure, I could get one to go to the post office with, but at this point I'm trying to sell off a few vehicles, not buy more.

Ideally I'd like to put some miles on the truly fun-to-drive vehicles I have, instead of buying new tires to replace aged out ones, and putting Star Tron in the tanks because they've been sitting for over six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.