Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #61  
do you do the same with your vehicles ? If you own a ford do you only use ford oil, if chevy, only chevy oil , etc, none of these oil brands make their own oil . chevy ford, etc, doesn't have an oil refinery

Do I use Havoline oil in my Ford engine? No, it's a strictly a mechanical device and many oils are fine. Do I use generic oil in the transmission? Of course not. Transmissions in autos are like hydro's in tractors with specific materials and specific requirement for viscosity and additives.

I owned a transmission shop and we used several generic oils based upon the vehicle manufacturer. Occasionally we would get one that would not shift right. Drained it and replaced with "factory" oil and the problems usually went away.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #62  
There are industry wide approved specs that virtually all OEM's adhere to. For an oil to be blended only to meet one OEM's idea of how things should be done would really drive the price up considerably for that OEM's branded product. Given the industry wide and independent testing that goes on with various lubricants, I am not sure that any comparable products are less in quality than Kubota labeled stuff. I understand the concept of "brand loyalty" that is espoused by some, but likewise, it can be taken to an extreme and almost become a cult like following without sound reasoning.

While exact component design may be a little different between OEM's, the actual metallurgy involved is surprisingly similar. There is nothing earthshaking about what any OEM, including Kubota, is doing. There are generally accepted design practices that fall within a range. This isn't like something new and unique like a new space craft design for NASA that falls outside of normal manufacturing parameters.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #63  
There are industry wide approved specs that virtually all OEM's adhere to. For an oil to be blended only to meet one OEM's idea of how things should be done would really drive the price up considerably for that OEM's branded product. Given the industry wide and independent testing that goes on with various lubricants, I am not sure that any comparable products are less in quality than Kubota labeled stuff. I understand the concept of "brand loyalty" that is espoused by some, but likewise, it can be taken to an extreme and almost become a cult like following without sound reasoning.

While exact component design may be a little different between OEM's, the actual metallurgy involved is surprisingly similar. There is nothing earthshaking about what any OEM, including Kubota, is doing. There are generally accepted design practices that fall within a range. This isn't like something new and unique like a new space craft design for NASA that falls outside of normal manufacturing parameters.

Copperhead, you make some very good points right along with my way of thinking. Your point that the OEM exclusively branded products drives their price up is right on. I buy a generic HST fluid for half the price of SUDT2 under Kubota's brand name. Some posters keep the ballyho that SUDT2 is a synthetic, Per their MSDS it looks like just another highly refined additive loaded Dyno oil. The MSDS is put out by Ashland the blender for Kubota. They make HST fluids under many brand names including Valvoline.

But, the discussions stays alive.

Ron

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #64  
But, the discussions stays alive.

Ron

Yep....keeping it alive here!

I decided to stay with what I use in everything else I have with a motor/transmission (cars mostly)...

Went with the Amsoil engine and transmission hydraulic fluid.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #65  
Interesting discussion. I currently have Amsoil hydraulic oil in my tractor and it no longer whines during sub 0 starts and the hydraulics are responsive even in cold weather.

I am not a loyal Amsoil user and have not purchased any of thier motor oil in years but I have used their products over the years with nothing but good results. The gear oil is amazing as it looks new after 100k and I've also had good luck with transmissions using thier ATF. Currently at 220k on a factory tranny on my dodge.

Every now an then you will find someone with an Amsoil "Horror Story" but from what I have seen none are really able to backup thier claims with any proof and they almost always seem to have been a former dealer. My guess is much of the issues has to do with the financial side of Amsoil and them not making much money as a "dealer" as I have never found any proof of widespread issues and every oil comparison I have read had amsoil among the best. Anyhow it seems more like they have an axe to grind more than actual proof of oil failing to perform. I've never had a bad experience with a synthetic oil. I use Delvac now primarily or Rotella if it's on sale.
New to the tractor world but I've been running Amsoil fluids in all my vehicles and equipment since the late 90's. We use mostly quarter ton vehicles because they are loaded with tools and building materials and we tow trailers with equipment on them.
We drive less than 20K miles/year and only change the oil once a year, using Amsoil filters when possible.

All the vehicles I bought that had less than 25000 miles have never had a transmission, power steering or engine failure, some approaching 250K miles. None of them have developed lifter ticking and none smoke. Most of them are driven by young men who drive them like they stole them! Same with the hydraulic systems in lift equipment. If I had used another motor oil and ran it 20K miles would I have the same result? IDK but I know Amsoil is gold for engines, transmissions and PS pumps!

Retiring soon so I bought a Kubota to help around the property we bought to retire to.

Unsure of what oil to use in the HST though. I like Amsoil and it's been all that but I have no idea what an HST may need, whether it needs any special additives etc.

Last edited:
   / Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #66  
OEM Kubota fluids and filters will keep it working fine for decades. If the extra money gives you peace of mind, then the extra dollars a year may be worth it. Cost is the major factor it not using it in high fluid capacity machines. Check that it meets manufacturers spec.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #67  
New to the tractor world but I've been running Amsoil fluids in all my vehicles and equipment since the late 90's. We use mostly quarter ton vehicles because they are loaded with tools and building materials and we tow trailers with equipment on them.
We drive less than 20K miles/year and only change the oil once a year, using Amsoil filters when possible.

All the vehicles I bought that had less than 25000 miles have never had a transmission, power steering or engine failure, some approaching 250K miles. None of them have developed lifter ticking and none smoke. Most of them are driven by young men who drive them like they stole them! Same with the hydraulic systems in lift equipment. If I had used another motor oil and ran it 20K miles would I have the same result? IDK but I know Amsoil is gold for engines, transmissions and PS pumps!

Retiring soon so I bought a Kubota to help around the property we bought to retire to.

Unsure of what oil to use in the HST though. I like Amsoil and it's been all that but I have no idea what an HST may need, whether it needs any special additives etc.
I use/like the Amsoil Tractor/Transmission hydraulic fluid in my Kioti CK30 HST. See my post #14 in the link below…

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #68  
I find Amsoil to be over priced myself but then the Chevron All Weather THC synthetic I use isn't cheap either. Nothing is cheap today except the TSC Traveller junk that will ruin your tractor anyway.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #69  
I've written in a couple threads about my substituting a different brand of trans fluid in my B7800 Kubota. I had extra hydrostatic whine and poor initial acceleration. I wound up changing the substitute oil out after just a few hours.

From what I learned, I would only use Kubota SUDT2 in a Kubota hydrostat. My gear drives were fine with other brands but there is something about SUDT2 in Kubota hydros. Just my free advice.

/ Amsoil vs. Kubota Super UDT2 #70  
The Amsoil Tractor Transmission/Hydraulic is pricey…but UOA at double the interval showed good for continued service. So I spun the filters for new ones and we’ll see what it’s like after another 400 hours. She’s as smooth/quiet in the cold winter as it is in the summer, so I’m happy…😉🤷

Last edited: